Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: swapping output shaft 5th gear bearing

x2 on Lunatics advise. Resist the temptation to whack away at that nut with an impact, transferring torque through that output shaft into the trans. Believe it or not, it takes more torque to remove that nut than the engine produces or the trans was designed for.

Remove nut locking ring, Install locking tool, Heat with torch, Clockwise loosen. Easy peasy.

Replaced the bearing. Got a pusher made for me and made a copper drift to home the outer seal and made a locking tool. Job was quite easy really, the outer race of the bearing had bad pitting. It all seems ok now although I am being a bit more gentle with it as I worry that the bad bearing might have caused a bit of disruption inside the gearbox. I have changed the tranny oil a couple of times and there doesn't seem to be any metal bits loose in there. I have just bought a SV1000s as I have lost faith in the Buell a bit. If a bearing like that (shouldn't be a ball bearing anyway) goes at 28 thou miles what are the state of the other internal components? I can't get rid of the Buell as it is just so good, handling and grunt but longevity I am not so sure about so I'll use the Suzuki as everyday ride until I decide what to do. Quite fancy a MT10.

Ok, got the same problem. Can anyone provide dimensions of the puller and the pusher. What type of metal for the plates and thickness. For the ground down bolts that go in the bearing, what type of metal? Hardened steel? M6 or M7. Sooo don't want to split the case.
    Any help appreciated.

Looks like I might need to borrow that holder tool, I'll provide deposit.

Quote Originally Posted by DualSportDad View Post
    Looks like I might need to borrow that holder tool, I'll provide deposit.
    Let me know how you go and I'll let you know how I go.

Almost got all the bits fabricated.

Will do. I need to get that pulley off and verify that the bearing is bad. I really hope that is all that it is, this is my noise.

https://youtu.be/1LCnWDnL9kA (video link wasn't working correct)
    Last edited by d_adams; 12-16-2018 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Added video

i pulled the seal in the center of the mainshaft to inspect the needle bearing, it looks good and there was fluid up there. i'm really hoping it's the roller bearing. anyone know if i can use a impact gun to remove the nut? i'd leave the belt and tesioner in place, trans in neutral and give it a go. i see twin motorcycles has several write ups where they removed the nut like this.

IMG_20181216_121548.jpg

Get the proper tool to do the job. Adding stress to the transmission is just silly. Snap off one tooth and you're looking at a considerably larger amount of work and cost for repairs.

DSD: Even though in neutral with the belt holding it should be safe for the trans, I would never put an impact on that nut. It's just way more force than that thing is designed for.

BTW I have 2 of those roller bearings I got from Harley, If you want one I'll cut you a good deal

Isn't the CR in my avatar the one I bought from you in Florida?

I'll make a tool to hold the sprocket.

I may take you up on that, but I have a few other things I need to grab from the local dealer and if they have one in stock I might as well just get it from there.

I can't see your avatar for some reason, but no you didn't buy a CR from me, I never owned one. There were several for sale in my are though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast