Thread: I hate electrical issues!!!!!!

I hate electrical issues!!!!!!

I was using ecmspy to run a diagnostic on my bike. I thought my fan had fried out. I was using ecmspy to test it. The fan hadn't been kicking on as much as I thought it should and so I tested it. It checked out fine and I had no trouble codes. While toggling between the diagnostic page and the page with the live time dash my lights went out. The lights came back on so fast that I almost didn't notice they were off. The bike was running when this happened. I had fired the bike up just to hear her sweet rumble and check my idle, and what not, and everything was good to go.
    However, after shutting everything off I thought about the light weirdness and figured I should turn the bike back on to see if the lights are still ok. I turned the bike on and the lights are dead. Everything else works perfectly but the lights are gone. The high beam indicator is illuminated and stays that way regardless of the headlight switch position.
    I've checked the bulb/headlight connectors for both the high and low beam and I see no corrosion or frayed wires. I've pulled the bulbs from both the low and high beams and they look as if they are in perfect working order. There is NO corrosion around the bulbs and I checked the fuse. The fuse is good to go. I've wiggled/molested every wire under the front fairing and have had no change in the light issue.
    So what do you guys think?
    I know I still need to check the battery terminals and all that easy peasy jazz but the fact that the bike turns over, idles and runs with no issues leads me to believe I don't have any battery related issues. I will be adding gobs of dialectic grease to all the connectors to see if that changes anything.
    I know I need to check the actual light switch housing to see if anything is fried inside there but I seriously doubt this is the case since everything else in the housing works just fine. I'll still open it open it up and check.
    The bike is a 2007xb12r that I've put all of 43k on myself. I think this is the FIRST electrical issue she's ever had.
    Anyway, I consider myself to be very competent with mechanical issue but I know I suck at trouble shooting electrical issues. So, any guidance, tips and or advice is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Just an update followed by a question. My headlight issue isn't extremely common but I did find a few old threads addressing the same issue. The black ground wire to the headlights has gone bad. I'll make a new ground and the lights should be fixed. I made a temporary jumper to see if I was reading my voltmeter correctly and with it I could get the lights to work.
    So, what the hell causes a ground wire to just stop working? There are no frays cracks or broken spots on the one I'm replacing.
    Last edited by Chicknstripn; 07-15-2015 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Added some info

Ok. Found why the ground wire wasn't working. It's melted at the the connector. Looks like I'll direct wire these connections and not worry about a connector melting on me again.