Thread: Opinions wanted voltage regulator?

Opinions wanted voltage regulator?

Had a persistent problem on my 2006 XB9SX, I think its the voltage regulator but the symptoms don't quite fit so looking for opinions before I buy a new one.

Ive checked all grounds, plugs, etc all look great and cleaned them again just to make sure.

Bike intermittently blows the ignition fuse, but I noticed last ride out and again this afternoon that the voltage starts dropping from 14.1 down to 10.4 or lower till the ignition fuse blows unless i completely let off the gas and let it idle down then it will jump back to 14 volts.

Guess im going to go ahead and buy a regulator, gotta get this bike back in good condition before I move. Really dont wanna trailer it!

But at 32k Miles its probably time for a new regulator.

Inactive
    i believe you're making the correct decision there. though i find them to be a stout piece i have replaced 3 VR's on assorted XB's thru the years and to a T....every faulty one showed your symptoms being wildly inconsistent volt output readings in conjunction with blown ignition fuses.

Thanks I appreciate it, the way it would jump back to full voltage seemed weird to me but maybe not.

Thought id update this for anyone with similar issues, It was indeed the voltage regulator. I decided to go with the roadster cycle FH020AA with connector kit. I used the original wires from my stock VR pulled them out of the epoxy and soldered the new connections on which made them the perfect length.
    This VR does not fit the stock location exactly, I took a piece of 2x1/8" plate cut it to fit over the stock location and welded it to the K-bracket where it could be removed if desired later and tapped it to mount the new VR.

Ill take and post some pics later but it looks OEM the way I mounted it and im very pleased with the function.