Thread: 08 ULY Fan blowing fuses

08 ULY Fan blowing fuses

HELP...I have an 08 ULY that is tempermental with the fan. It blows fuses every time I stop the bike after a run. I can hear the fan wanting to kick in but does not turn over...it just pops the fuse. If I replace it with a fresh one ASAP the fan runs normally.

You didn't say specifically which fuse is blowing, so I assume it is only the fan fuse? Can you spin the fan freely by hand, and does it make any noise?

Fuses blow because more current is flowing through a circuit than was intended. You could have a short to ground in your fan harness. Or the fan might be going bad, meaning it could develop a short when heated, or could have a short from excessive wear. There could also be oil and road grime contamination in the fan motor.

Remove the fan, give it a good inspection, and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by ReadyXB View Post
    You didn't say specifically which fuse is blowing, so I assume it is only the fan fuse? Can you spin the fan freely by hand, and does it make any noise?

Fuses blow because more current is flowing through a circuit than was intended. You could have a short to ground in your fan harness. Or the fan might be going bad, meaning it could develop a short when heated, or could have a short from excessive wear. There could also be oil and road grime contamination in the fan motor.

Remove the fan, give it a good inspection, and report back.
    OK finally got the fan out. It was full of oil. Rocker gasket leak caused the fan to stick...I think. I need to find a replacement fan. This fan was not that easy to get to though as I'm not a great wrench. Thanks for the advice and will fill you in when the new unit is placed in and tested.

Quote Originally Posted by Wavesurfer View Post
    OK finally got the fan out. It was full of oil. Rocker gasket leak caused the fan to stick...I think. I need to find a replacement fan. This fan was not that easy to get to though as I'm not a great wrench. Thanks for the advice and will fill you in when the new unit is placed in and tested.
    Ended up being a bad fan. Replaced and working fine now. Did have an oil leak back there that probably did not help the cause. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Wavesurfer View Post
    Ended up being a bad fan. Replaced and working fine now. Did have an oil leak back there that probably did not help the cause. Thanks for your input.
    Oil from leaking rockers kills fans. If you didn't fix the oil leak, you will be doing it all again before long!