Thread: Wire exposed, then broke at fuel pump!

Wire exposed, then broke at fuel pump!

So after putting my bike back together after my coworker flipped it, I must not have tightened the negative lead from the battery to the frame good enough. Went to start it after driving for a while and stopping for a break. It did not turn over, then a small puff of gray smoke. I got off bike and found one of the 4 wires going to the fuel pump had burst through its black sheath and was shorting on fuel rail.

I wrapped wire with electrical tape and bike started up and I got her home. So now I tried to repair wire (and tighten negative battery lead to frame) and the wire is exposed both before and after connector for fuel pump. During my inspection it actually BROKE at the pump with only about a 1/2 inch of wire coming out of bottom of the pump!

Can I solder this tiny bit, heatshrink, and repair the rest of the wire on the bike, or am I going to need to remove the pump and replace the entire black wire that goes into the pump?

I think your plan of attack is worth a shot. What's the worse thing that could happen? It doesn't work and you pull the pump to repair it? And if it does work, you saved yourself the hassle of having to pull the pump.
    Let us know how it turns out!
    Good luck

So far so good. If it makes it through summer like this, I'm still going to give it a proper repair during the off season.