Thread: 05 XB12R Issue (77 Connector Maybe)

05 XB12R Issue (77 Connector Maybe)

So I'll try to make this quick. I have an 05 firebolt, while riding the other day my bike started back firing and stuttering. Lights and power was cutting in and out. Eventually left me stranded at a light, got it back to my house and found the culprit to be a broken battery terminal. (it broke off from the battery not the cable) I switched the battery thinking that would be the end of it. Took it out today after changing the plugs, and while a mile or so away from the house the CEL comes on and the lights and Guage slowly stop working. I limp it into the driveway as it dies. I come here and research what it could be. I know the battery is good. It's brand new. Load test confirmed before this whole fiasco. I felt the main suspects would be the voltage regulator or stator I think it was. Anyways after research I find this 77 pin talk, I go outside at 1 AM because it bothers me that much. And I find this in the picture that I hopefully managed to attach. 1. Would this cause what I described maybe caused by the first issue with the battery terminal? 2. how do I go about fixing this? Hardwire it? And I'll research it more but if anyone has done this before with a link to a thread that would be great. I appreciate any input.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've never had one fry out on my bike but from what you're discribing I believe that plug is your issue. You can find a similar plug at most auto parts store. Whatever you do just make sure you use some sort of connection you can disconnect fairly easily. If you direct wire it replacing those components could become a pain.
    Good luck

Google Doc

Forum Post

New Part

Happened to me. After the bike would warm up the current arched between the plug leads it would make the gauges fliker. Replaced the plug but it fried the stator and regulator was going as well. So replaced everything and now it is fine.

Alright so I hard wired the 77 connector and still a no go. So I have no multi meter, is there any way I can tell which needs to be replaced? Stator or VR? Ive looked for bad grounds but at this point I'm sure there aren't any. Thanks for the guidance boys. I hate not having her up and running. Also I'm sure that I have some CEL codes but I should get my cable tomorrow so I can check via ecm spy.

Last edited by TrojanMP; 07-16-2015 at 07:57 PM.