Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Uly, Securing question

New Uly, Securing question

I am looking to drive quite a distance (2 day trip) to pick up a Uly and I want to use at fork stop when I strap it down. I have made ones out of 4x4 that goes between the lower triple and the tire for dirt bikes, but I will have to remove the fender at the tire and the one below the lower triple. Its a redneck version of this http://www.amazon.com/Pit-Posse-Moto...bxgy_263_img_z

Can someone check to see what tools would be required to remove them to make sure I bring the right tools. I have a tool bag used for dirt bikes but make sure I cover all bases.

Anyone have recommended tie down point at the front, I typically grab a point at the handlebars by the clamp or near the triples.

Thanks for any info
    Jeremy

Inactive
    jeremy: i'm 61 years old...have trailered/trucked probably 500 bikes in my lifetime a total of well over 100,000 miles and have never ever facilitated usage of a "tire to tree" block nor do i know why i ever would. IMO a crappy idea. on a ulysses use the 4 standard tie-down points and rig your trailer or truck for same: left and right handlebar points just outboard of the handlebar clamps....and the left and right rear grab rails. at the front you can also use the left and right fork tubes just above the lower tree...or left and right grips. here is what you want. buy 4. cheap and simple. available everywhere.
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...xL._SX425_.jpg

Fenders come off with only a t27

Lunatic - I have a set of those straps, plus I use a spring link style instead of the standard hooks on the tie downs. I am always worried about blowing out the fork seals during the trip or at least weakening them due to compressing them too much during the trip. Normally I pull each side of the bars for about a 2" compress and that's it. I'm even okay with it being a slight loose because I have those clips on each end and not coming free from the bars. I'll look at the rear to see where I can grab. Normally I would run one strap from a hook, around the rim and tire and to the other hook on the other side.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

Thanks for the info

Thanks noone

I am always worried about blowing out the fork seals during the trip or at least weakening them due to compressing them too much during the trip.

Personally, I have never blown a seal (no, not that kind either Tone) transporting a bike. Only known to blow a seal with a rapid decompression like coming down hard from a wheelie. Just my experience. Think you will be fine with what Lunatic said.
    Congrats on the Uly. Pic's please.

I'll post some when i get it home next weekend.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Inactive
    what john said above. keep in mind the seal/spring debate probably dates back to the first time a bike was lashed down for transport. if secured properly and "reasonable" tension applied to the tie-down straps, you will NOT in any way shape or form damage fork seals or weaken fork springs. what do i base this on? think of it in these terms: Harley-Davidson for example has crated and shipped approx. 3,300,000 motorcycles from their assembly plants to worldwide distribution points just in the last 10 years. every single one of them has been lashed down with its suspension components collapsed, to the floor of its respective container....no exceptions. some remain in that condition for months at a time. if there was even the remotest possibility that this could damage fork seals and/or springs the procedure would be changed. these bikes have to get thru dealer prep and years of applied factory warranties. trust me.....it harms nothing.

Wow, didn't know they would compress those things all the way down. I did that once when I drove my sportster from VA to CT. I'll tell you what, trying to remove the straps at the end was interesting. I thought it was going to unload itself automatically without my help.

Heading down this weekend to look at it and hopefully bring it back with me.

Thanks for all the info in insight. Can't wait to get it home, fixed up, and on the road. This will be #3 for me.

Well, after about 17 hours of driving there and back. She now has a new home. With not worrying about fork compression I strapped one set of ratchet straps to the lower triple and put a secondary set on the bars. The roads were so bad I didn't want the primary strap to fail and loose the bike. here she is at her new home, safe and sound. Now the work begins in getting her back into road worthy condition as she sat for 2 years.

Left.jpg Complete.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast