Thread: '08 XB12X While Riding the Speedo Stops, then...

'08 XB12X While Riding the Speedo Stops, then...

...I hit the engine kill switch for just a moment, let it restart by rolling, then the speedo comes back and the CEL stays on for a second then goes out and all is fine for an hour, or the rest of the day. Then it happens again. There is no change in the way the bike runs. The speedo just goes to zero, flash the kill switch off, then it all comes back. Everything else stays normal. Today the CEL came on and I figured it was time to run the codes and that whatever gremlin is causing this has shown its ugly head. The only code that came up was 21, but I'm having trouble seeing the exhaust actuator thingie (as indicated by the code) is causing this.
    2008 XB12X. 15k miles. K&N filter. Everything else stock.
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, folks.

Inactive
    simple things first and based on your info you are losing electrical power for a moment or so. try this and report back:
    1-spray a good dryer/cleaner/luber such as kano kroil in the right switchgear housing and work the run/off switch back &forth.
    2-check battery cable end connections and terminal connections. all must be squeaky clean and tight
    3-check the negative battery cable end fastener frame lug. must be corrosion and crack-free
    4-is your seat rubbing on your ecm unit? check the unit for any signs of stress cracks, rubbing, loose plug connections.
    5-"actuator thingie" is the computer controlled unit that sits atop the inner air box lid and beneath the air box cover. it operates the muffler interactive power valve.

1-spray a good dryer/cleaner/luber such as kano kroil in the right switchgear housing and work the run/off switch back &forth.

Used contact cleaner, then followed up with WD-40.

2-check battery cable end connections and terminal connections. all must be squeaky clean and tight

Both are good.

3-check the negative battery cable end fastener frame lug. must be corrosion and crack-free

There is neither corrosion or cracks.

4-is your seat rubbing on your ecm unit? check the unit for any signs of stress cracks, rubbing, loose plug connections.

This is where it gets interesting. I noticed there was a little wear on the ECM connector from the seat. The PO said the speedo has done this since new and the dealer replaced a couple parts but it still did it so he just lived with it. He weighs about 150 lbs. I'm at 240 lbs so I think the rubbing is recent.

5-"actuator thingie" is the computer controlled unit that sits atop the inner air box lid and beneath the air box cover. it operates the muffler interactive power valve.

I wired this thing open, which seems to be all the rage on this site. I have an ECM Spy cable but need to borrow a PC to use it (All I have are Macs). When I get that working I'll check for other codes and shut off the code for the exhaust actuator. Then I will ride it and report back. Thanks very much for your help!

Just did about 100 miles on the bike and no speedo failures. My Spidy-Sense is telling me it was in the kill switch. So far, so good. Thanks LunaticFringe. However, since wiring up the muffler valve actuator I cannot clear the code. Perhaps this should be a separate thread, but here it goes:

Got the ECM SPY cable and it came with a disc for a Windows machine. I borrowed a Windows PC and loaded it up and loaded the serial to USB port software. I'm connecting just fine with the bike but cannot get the Active Muffler Control to toggle. I did Read EEPROM and all it did was activate the O2 Sensor toggle. I'm on the professional menu. Also, I cannot read error codes because it says it cannot find the firmware. All the diagnostic stuff seems to work, turns on the fan, moves the tach, etc. It even resets the TPS. But no way to clear the codes or even read them. When I short out the pins to read codes on the bike, it still gives me 21. When I have the actuator hooked up, it tries to move but it looks like the gears stripped right in the middle of its range. With it wired open, it runs and idles well. Any input would be appreciated.

Inactive
    Thanks LunaticFringe.

always my pleasure and glad you resolved the problem. hoping one of the board ecmspy gurus chimes in with assistance. ecmspy always worked fine for me when doing the basics. clearing codes....running diagnostics...and disabling the IEV system were among those simple things i could do with it. personally i like the interactive exhaust when it is fully functional. if the gears are stripped in your original unit as you mentioned....and that does happen...there are good used ones on both evilbay and available from board members like stamen....umdterp...and paul pud. all good reliable parts guys.

I did 150 miles the other day with no problems. The thing I wanna know, LunaticFringe, is how the hell did you figure it was the kill switch? I don't see the connection between that and the speedo. I'm betting it's because you are really a wizard.

The disc I got with my ECM Spy cable was crap so I made my donation and downloaded the latest version. I'm waiting for them to load up my file then I think I'll be golden as far as having a proper connection to the ECM. Thanks again.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Feequess View Post
    I did 150 miles the other day with no problems. The thing I wanna know, LunaticFringe, is how the hell did you figure it was the kill switch? I don't see the connection between that and the speedo. I'm betting it's because you are really a wizard.

The disc I got with my ECM Spy cable was crap so I made my donation and downloaded the latest version. I'm waiting for them to load up my file then I think I'll be golden as far as having a proper connection to the ECM. Thanks again.
    thanks very much for the kind words and i'm no wizard.....i've just been around bikes a very long time now...like 50 years...and have seen the on/off or kill switch or run switch or whatever you want to call it....cause alot of similar problems. a bike that gets washed often or sits outside unprotected or comes from a corrosive climate such as coastal US areas can have a very tempermental switch.