Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting old really sucks!

Getting old really sucks!

I have to have carpel tunnel surgery in both my wrists. I'm totally bummed and trying to put it off for at least a year. Doctor says my right wrist/hand is an extreme case and my left is almost as bad.
    I'm on meds now. They suck cause I can't touch any booze while I'm on them. Wife says that's a good thing!
    Just wanted to see if anyone out their, that loves riding, has had this surgery done. And if so, how long was the recovery processes?
    Doc says 8-10weeks.
    In the mean time my bike will be collecting dust.
    I'm pretty bummed out....

i was hurt in an accident at work about 5 years ago and while i haven't had carpel tunnel surgery, i have had two different surgeries on neck for spinal fusions. i now have 4 cages and 16 bolts in neck. i had three surgeries to fix damage to my left arm, left hand and wrist and surgery on my right shoulder..the first couple i sat around and waited to FEEL better....that took awhile....all the others i made myself get up and made myself believe that i was better....made all the difference in the world....and as far as the meds,,,,,not me....very easy to get addicted to something that allows you to feel nothing, or less....after all i have been through, i take four ibuprofen with my cup of coffee and ride,,,sometime i pay for it when im done, but i always feel great when i ride, so its worth it
    And i will agree....getting older does suck. have been finding myself needing naps in the middle of the day and going to bed when the sun goes down.
    Hang in there and while you are recouping, go to your bike and talk to her, detail her and love her...great rehab and motivation.

lmao. Your telling me. I have a 22 year old girlfriend that wears me out.

wouldnt know what to do with a 22 year old....well, you know, except for that...lol

My co-workers dad was diagnosed with vertigo last year. He(co-worker) got a free Ultra Classic out of it but now he doesn't have his riding partner.

My ole man is 64 years young but still I take every opportunity I can to ride with him these days.

Coaldigger and 9lbHammer - thanks for those stories. appreciate you guys taking the time to share them.
    Coaldigger - I'm inspired by your story. Ill definitely keep the meds to a minimum and I plan on staying active. My bike will be going through a metamorphosis of sorts while I'm recuperating so I'll definitely get a lot of quality time with her. I'll try to take pics so you guys can see what I'm doing to the poor girl.
    mrlogix - Been there, done that, with a younger lass. She was like an exotic sportbike. So much fun to ride at full throttle and capable of performing in a way I only dreamed of. Unfortunately, when she wasn't being pumped full of "adrenaline" at full throttle the maintenance and low speed behavior was a total pain in the ass.

Chicknstripn mate you can get through this, get all the bike stuff ready to watch on tv, polish the crap out of your bike and when you come back you will have a whole new outlook on life trust me i spent the whole of 1981 in hospital, didnt walk for 18 months i all but tore my leg off and 3 toes then got it burnt under the front header on a ducati 900ss i have busted every rib bruised lungs lost lots of skin and now i have a useless right arm and fully fused right shoulder, i have had over 50 operations and i will NEVER give up! i am glad i am 57 years old coz i really shouldn`t be! so chin up mate! plus your wife will have to help you out with certain nocturnal activities if you get me!! ha ha

I totally understand what your going through. I'm pretty young and have already had one open heart surgery. Doc says every five to ten years for the rest of my life I'm lucky enough to have another as my aortic valve slowly wears out. Full recovery the first time took almost a year so my sternum and pectoral miscle could grow back together.. I didn't ride during my first recovery so after this one coming up its going to be rough. I'm with coaldigger on the meds part as well. Did everything I could not to take them but sometimes it was a necessity. So I know I can't really relate to the getting old suck yet but surgerys on the other hand definitely suck.

Hahaha Tone I love the positive attitude and who doesn't like help with nocturnal activities from their ol lady. I think you summed it up. In the end, you can NEVER give up and you always have more in your tank than you realize. The only thing you can do is make the best of every situation life throws at you. Good luck with your surgery chicknstripn, when it happens keep us updated on you and your bike.

i spent the whole of 1981 in hospital
    If that happened to me I would have bought the hospital bed and turned it into a motorcycle lift out of spite!!!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast