Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: simple no mess funnel for draining XB fuel tanks

simple no mess funnel for draining XB fuel tanks

Doesn't really need much instruction. Just check the attached pic. First time I drained my fuel tank I tried using a conventional funnel and fuel spilled EVERYWHERE.
    The second time I cut up an empty quart container of oil and it worked like a charm.
    Not sure what happened when attaching the pic but it should be orientated 90 degrees to the right.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chicknstripn; 07-30-2015 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Picture orientation

Great idea. Simple, inexpensive, and effective!

That's pretty smart

I've been using tin foil.

I don't get it.. you're going to have to explain!

Who me? The tin foil trick is to just form it into a drain/funnel whatever shape you need. The thick stuff works the best, but SHHHH! don't tell the wife!

Chicknstripn - I need to drain very old gas out of my Uly I just picked up and looking at the pictures I think I'm a bit confused as to the orientation of the bottle in regards to the drain. Secondly, is there a drain plug for the fuel tank? It looks like your set up above and behind the primary case.

Not sure if your able, but could you take a picture with that drain bottle in place and showing the whole side of the bike so I can get a reference to how to set it up?

Thanks
    Jeremy

The drain plug is located at the bottom of the frame on the left side of the bike. It's in the center of the fuel pump base. You'll have to remove your left rear set/foot peg bracket to gain access to it. The fuel pump looks like an aluminum square with four machine screws holding it in place. You see the fuel line and electrical wires coming off the pump and the drain plug located dead center of the pump.
    The orientation of my picture is off. It should be orientated 90 degrees to the right.
    All I did to drain the tank was remove the foot peg bracket, cut out the side from a used quart bottle of oil and shove the bottle, with the opening facing the drain plug, in between the fuelpump drain and the rear swing arm.
    MY bike is an XB12r. There might be a few difference between it and a Uly but I believe the basic idea of what I did should work just fine.
    If not I'm sure someone with a Uly will chime in.
    I took that picture a long time ago and found it on my phone the day I posted it. I deleted it after posting. I'll try and get you another pic, with the whole bike visible if you still need help figuring out how to drain your fuel.
    Last edited by Chicknstripn; 08-03-2015 at 11:53 AM.

1125blaster-http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...38/442427.html
    Check out this thread from badweb. It should help you figure out how to drain your tank.
    The thread is about removing the pump to repair it. YOU DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE YOUR PUMP TO DRAIN IT.
    Just use the second picture in the thread to help you figure out how to drain the tank.

Thanks for the info, I'll try to give it a shot on my next day off. I do have an area that I can make a mess with the fuel if it happens.

Chickn thats a good idea i have to drain mine soon so perfect timing! Mate you must be on you way to your 1st million dollars by now with all your money saving tips! you need a youtube channel i reckon!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast