Thread: 2000 Buell X1- Air intake upgrade questions

2000 Buell X1- Air intake upgrade questions

Hey all,
    So since I'm going to try to do another breather mod to the crank (hopefully this one will work), I figure I might as well delete the air intake cover and get something a little more free-flowing. My heart was set on a Forcewinder, but the price tag of $270 set my wallet ablaze.
    Thats expensive as hell.
    I got to thinking, being a poor guy paying oodles of student loans: what other options have I? I found a couple of cool ones, with the most practical application being the type that pur_pony has, the ovular filter mounted right to the side. However, my technical side got to thinking and now here I am posing the question to you guys. When I'm riding, my legs still feel the heat of those pipes and that engine, even when going 80mph. As such, wouldn't that high heat translate to the air going into the engine, and thus impact its performance, as opposed to cooler air coming in further in front of the engine? My thoughts are that the air coming in from a Forcewinder intake would be cooler, and thus more advantageous and impactful since it isnt directly on the side of the engine. What do you guys think? True? Untrue? Or would it be true, but no discernable difference felt/seen? Also, if you have some suggestions for an air intake, that'd be great! Thanks for the help!

-Mike
    Last edited by Yodes89; 07-30-2015 at 05:59 PM.

Sorry no has posted yet bud. I bought my '01 Lightning with the Forcewinder on it so I can't compare it to anything else; though I have to say I have no complaints about it and everyone says it looks mean as heck. No knee rub and I have the rain sock for it (and have had to use it!) and when snaking it on after some "aggressive" riding I didn't notice any substantial heat on the filter element. Just my two cents, hope it helps...or if you got it figured out let me know what ya went with and what you think about it! Shiny side up bud