Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock rear brake question S/SS compatible?

Stock rear brake question S/SS compatible?

Hey all, I'm trying to help another forum member out. I sold a complete rear brake setup (MC/line/caliper/swing arm bracket) from my 07 SST to a member with an 05 firebolt. He has it now but says the caliper/bracket won't bolt to the swing arm on his bike. I was under the impression that all XB's had the same caliper and through all the years. I looked online for pictures but they look the same from what I can tell, also I've never seen someone mention this issue when swapping to a long or different year swing arm. The brembo rear brake bracket from ASB says it fits all XB's all years as well, so how can this stock bracket not mount up for him?

I recommended that he just swap the bracket for the one that's on his bike and everything should be fine right? Anyone have any insight on this being an issue?

I've never ran into a problem swapping them before either. Is he trying to mount up the caliper without the bracket or something like that?

Pics please.

Yeah, no idea what the problem could be...

Here is what I sent him, pre-bled and ready to ride. I asked him to try again and if the two bolts aren't lining up for some reason just swap the silver caliper mount out for the one already on his bike.

He is in Florida, i'm in California, I asked for pic's of the problem as well.

I'm in Floriduh, maybe I can help? What city is he in?

I will point him to the thread so if he would like a hand he can contact you Cooter.

I'm an idiot. Got home tonight and looked. Just take off that bracket and it will fit like a charm. Thank you Low-key. Cooter, I'm in Davenport. I4 and hwy 27. I think I have this licked now that I see the light.

Hey willrotten, if you get the chance can you post a picture of the two brackets so we can see what is different? Could help other members down the road if they can see this post. I'm curious myself as I've never seen a thread with the problem before. Even if you've already done the bracket swap and bolted up the caliper, just hold up the other bracket to the swing arm where the bolt holes are for a comparison. Thanks bud!

I'm just wondering, as it seems lowkey is too, where exactly that brake setup wast fitting? Was the issue at the right rear set or at the swing arm? Was it simply a face palm moment that involved not removing the original bracket at the swing arm? Or was it that you couldn't squeeze the rear brake into position at the right rear set and realized it was much easier by removing the rear set.
    No matter how stupid it may seem, it happened. And I'm sure it will happen to someone else that is new to zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance.
    So please post exactly what the issue was. You'll be helping another Bueller down the road.

Face palm, dumb ass moment. I was in a rush to check it out in-between road trips for work and family. I was exhausted at the time but didn't think I did not understand the bracket was necessary.

BUT there was one small difference. The fluid hose going from the reservoir to the master cylinder was about 4 inches short. So I swapped those out and am good as new.

I sure had to cuss that battery a bunch. What a PIMA that is. Just when I finally figured it out, one of the terminal nuts is missing. I'll deal with it tomorrow and bleeding the brakes. I had had as much fun as I could stand.... IMG_1472.jpg

So now anyone needing to replace the entire rear brake setup on an xb12r knows that the xb12sst reservoir line is shorter than the xb12r line.
    I would have never known that.
    The bracket thing... ...Definetly face palm!
    Thanks for posting what the issue was. I learned something new today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast