Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My xb12r front end hack

My xb12r front end hack

I went a little crazy stripping things down when I fixed a burned up headlight connector that caused my headlight ground wire to stop working. Figured there's no better time than now to try and fabricate a cafe/streetfighter looking front end.
    I'm trying to do as much DIY as a guy can do with common every day tools. Also trying to keep the expenses AS LOW AS POSSIBLE!
    My first obstacle is fabricating a new headlight bracket so I can use the stock xbr lights. I want the setup itself to take up less room than stock and fit to brackets on the forks.
    Once I get that fitted my next obstacle will be what to do about the fuse and relay boxes.
    This all at a crude beginning stage. So be kind with the pitchforks and torches.
    Like the tail I did a few years back; everything will easily go back to stock and NO stock parts, that aren't already thrashed, will be harmed.
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Almost forgot to mention; that helmet that's cut in half, visible in the photo of the frontend, will SOMEHOW become my new fairing/flyscreen. That helmet was render useless years ago when my neighbors dog decided it would be a good idea to try and jump on my bike and go for a ride while I went passed his house at about 15mph.
    BTW what can I do to maintain proper orientation of pics?
    Last edited by Chicknstripn; 07-30-2015 at 08:33 PM.

I love me some streetfighters, it's just so hard to make them not look like you crashed it and low-bucked a headlight on it. That said, I always liked how the rear turned out on yours, so my hoes are high

If you're uploading from Photobucket/Shutterfly you have to rotate the pics on there first.

Hey thanks Cooter! I kind of like the low buck mad max beyond thunder dome kinda look.
    I'd loading the pics straight from my phone. They orientation is correct before they upload here.

nice. Keep the updates coming.

yeah I have been thinking about doing something like this on my 12SR... waiting to see how it goes.

Don't expect anything like what purpony or nicholas have done. I don't have the tools for that caliber of fabrication. Also I get maybe one day a week and a few hours to make anything happen so this project won't happen over night.
    BUT I'll definitely post whatever progress I make.
    Thanks for the support fellas

Here's a little bit of progress on the headlight bracket. Still in a very crude stage. Once I figure how to mount the lights and the gauge cluster I'll start working on rerouting some of the wiring.
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Dam it! Those pics were oriented correctly before I posted them.
    WTH

Had a few hours in the garage. Here's what I've come up with for the dash.
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    I'm still working around the electronics as if they don't exist!
    My next step is to dress up the headlight bracket and mount the headlights in their permanent position. From there I'll try figure out what I'm going to do with the electronics.
    So far it's looking like I'll have to move the fuse and relay boxes to under the airbox.
    After the headlights find find a home it'll be time for me to start fabricating a small fairing.
    Ugh... ...what have I gotten myself into!

Looks like I have no choice... ... I'm gonna drop the engine and start rerouting the fuse box, relays and ECM. There's really no way I can make all that stuff fit without it looking all wonky and cheap.
    I want it to have a cafe type look, not like an xbs, like something definitely custom. Not bolted together. I can't really do that with the wiring all up front or the firebolt headlights.
    Once I relocate the wiring I'll start looking into inexpensive headlight options.
    I told the wife this wouldn't cost much. I'm a horrible liar!
    So far I'm only in it about $70 bucks.
    Wish me luck. I hate electrical work!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast