Thread: 2000 X1 Fuel Pump

2000 X1 Fuel Pump

Recently acquired an X1 from a friend that has been sitting with gas in it for years. Decided to pull the tank and clean out old gas and see where I stand as far as gunk. It's not good. Practically paint thinner at this point and fuel pump was gummed up real bad. I cleaned it off as best I could with some elbow grease and carb cleaner. Decided to hook it up and see if it turns when ignition is on. No dice. At this point, nothing to lose, so I soaked it in a mineral spirits carb cleaner (one gallon can) and it cleaned up much more. Pulled it out, sprayed it and tried again...nothing. The metal is slightly pitted on the outside, so I am left to believe there has been some level of corrosion on the inside. Am I wrong in thinking this? The pump as a whole is quite expensive and I can piece it back together with a regulator and pump (fuel sensor also broke but I don't car if that gets replaced), but in anyone's experience, am I wasting my time trying to get this pump running? I will post a pic if I figure out how to send it from my phone to here. While separating the pump from the housing, there is a gasket at the top that of course was ****, but it seems like it goes into the actual housing as a whole piece. Hard to explain, so forgive me, but it seems like a gasket that helps hold the pump in place. Not sure if that comes with a new pump or not. Anyway, doing a complete fuel system clean at this point (which I had planned anyway) with fuel injector cleaning, new fuel filter, lines and tank cleaning. Any advice on the tank? My fat hands can't get all the way to the bottom. Also, any advice on cylinder priming after a bike has been sitting this long? Miracle oil through spark plug ports..? Owned XB's before but this is my first tuber project. Thanks!

IMG_0577.jpg Here is the Pic.

I had to replace my pump on my '99 X1 when I first got it as well. The pump was a Walbro that was a replacement for a V6 Mustang. Cheap.

For cleaning my tank - I just poured in fresh gas and let it sit for a day then cleaned it out with water. I let it dry and found an American made fuel filter to replace the OE filter. Ran great after that. Old owner was surprised I was able to get it up and running after sitting for years neglected in their garage.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by fluffypancakes View Post
    I had to replace my pump on my '99 X1 when I first got it as well. The pump was a Walbro that was a replacement for a V6 Mustang. Cheap.

For cleaning my tank - I just poured in fresh gas and let it sit for a day then cleaned it out with water. I let it dry and found an American made fuel filter to replace the OE filter. Ran great after that. Old owner was surprised I was able to get it up and running after sitting for years neglected in their garage.

Good luck!

Thanks! Yeah, I just ordered a replacement pump unit with a regulator. Unfortunately, when I was pulling the pump off the whole unit, the brass nipple came off and is still stuck in the main casing. There is a longer rubber piece that goes on that nipple of the pump that I didn't see in the kit I ordered. Any ideas on what this is or where to find it? Also, need some rubber washers that seal the pump to the tank on the inside. Will just any rubber washer work or do I need a particular type that withstands sitting in fuel?

The o-ring and seals are OBS for HD/Buell and are hard to find now. You need to make sure you get rubber that is made to have contact with fuel.

You have to pull that brass fitting out. It's a pain in the ass. I just used the same kit and called Highflowfuel tech service and they walked me through it. Just make sure the rubber seal stays in place, or if it pops out make sure you don't damage it.

Up date: Bike is running and rides, but going to start a thread about the tune. Thanks!