Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1999 X1 race map link? New ECM maybe?

Question 1999 X1 race map link? New ECM maybe?

Hi, new to the forum.

I have a 1999 X1 with a force winder and v&h muffler (and race flashed ECM) that was working great until it just started sputtering and dying one day. I've changed the O2, new gas and gas filter, oil change, etc... No joy in figuring it out. After a few weeks in the shop, no one can find what's wrong with it. Throws most CEL codes except for the ECM.

I got downloaded the ECM spy software, got the cable and database for my model ECM. Reset the TPS worked a bit, then slowly goes back to afu again - pops and backfires a lot, and then idle slower and slower until it dies. By the time I adjust the idle screw into the 1050ish zone, it dies. I reset the TPS again and it happens all over again.

I checked my map and swear it's the same as the base map that I downloaded from online (I did NOT upload into ECM). Maybe the dealer re flashed and didn't tell me...?

Do you think it's just in need of a reflash to a race map? I've tried to download a new map, but all links I find are dead or files that ECM spy doesn't recognize. Would appreciate a link if anyone has one.

Maybe needs a whole new ECM?

I'm getting pretty frustrated during prime riding months... Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Welcome! What were the codes? Multiple failures can sometimes be attributed to a ground that has loosened, and several sensors share a common voltage source.

Also, since you have the equipment, please record some data when the problem happens while driving and/or idling. I'd be happy to review the datalog.

Thanks.

Away visiting family at the moment, but will try to remember the codes... Was a lot of them. Injectors, O2, tps, voltage, fuel pump...few others can't remember. Shop basically took it apart and checked the components after my initial troubleshooting efforts (basic charge for about 1hr labor since they couldn't fix it... Pretty good group of guys).

Is there one ground site I should check? Would a ground cause it to just slowly degrade and die like that tho?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ReadyXB View Post
    What were the codes?
    Working with another forum member, I was able to check my map, reset the AFV, TPS... Since everytime I reset the TPS, it works great, then starts to degrade w/in about 5mins, I decided to change out the TPS. I hooked it up, reset the TPS and it worked great - idle was spot on, fired right up, everything... then started to pop and sputter w/in 10mins again... Then get back to the garage and all CELs are gone, bike runs fine for a while again, then craps out again... UGH!!

So, I'm stopping for a while, but wanted to show what codes it throws when this happens (it's quite a few):
    (under sensor tab) Air temp sensor, Bank angle sensor, battery voltage, Engine temp sensor, O2 sensor, TPS
    (under actuator tab) Coil 1, Coil 2, Fuel pump, Injector 1, Injector 2, Tachometer
    (under ECM tab) A/D convertor failure, EEPROM failure, RAM failure, ROM/Flash failure

I checked the ground and battery terminals - all are tight. I've made sure to charge up the battery, as well.

One thing I did notice, the headlight is now very dim and the highbeam doesn't work anymore either (meaning the highbeam button does nothing). The bike fires up just fine each time, so I don't think it's the battery - right?? I just changed this headlight this spring, before all this crazy stuff started happening... ground maybe? Maybe the ECM has died/dying (though ECM spy picks it right up everytime...)?

Any further help is much appreciated!

check the wiring harness? Chaffing or frayed terminals? Never had a X1, but for all the sensors and other faults I would think of frayed (broken strands, not broken wires) terminals would drop voltage enough for the faults and the ECM faults. Less strands in the conductor (wire) = less voltage/amperage carrying capability. If it was a short, it usually does have enough amperage to blow a fuse. Hopefully someone here has dealt with X1's or had a similar issue with the same codes.

Anyone know why my headlight would now be REALLY dim? This didn't start until all the other problems came up.

Bulb is fine. Also, won't put high beams on now either. Harness seems to be ok.

Seems like my bike has just given up on me...

Where are you located?
    To me, its telling me your charging system is probably very weak or on its way out, probably have too low of voltage which causes the computer to act up and cause your issues. Need to probe the power wire to the pcm while running and watch what the voltage is when it acts up, if it stays 12.5v or higher then do the same thing to the ground wires into the ecm should at all times have close to zero volts, any voltage would indicate a short inside the ecm.

Quote Originally Posted by Theycallmecrash View Post
    Where are you located?
    Northern VA.

I'll try to get to that this weekend - wish I was better with electrical work. Anything less than 12.4 on ecm pwr and it's the charging system? VR? Had the VR about 2yrs back.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Theycallmecrash View Post
    Need to probe the power wire to the pcm while running and watch what the voltage is when it acts up, if it stays 12.5v or higher then do the same thing to the ground wires into the ecm should at all times have close to zero volts, any voltage would indicate a short inside the ecm.
    I'm not the best w/ electrical stuff, so was hoping some people might be able to provide a little more info on how to test it this...

For the positive lead test, I probe ECM power in, and hook onto the pos terminal to see if there's a voltage drop? And this means my charging system is bad?

For the ground test, I probe ground on the ECM and probe onto the negative battery terminal to see if any voltage dumps to ground? This means a bad ECM?

Is that right? Sorry, but just want to be sure and not mess anything up! Thanks

Not exactly. Im not in a position to do a long write up. Ill try to get you a detailed write up and some pictures off my x1 to help out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast