Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1999 X1 race map link? New ECM maybe?

Thanks. I appreciate it!

Salvooch, sent you a message. I have some pictures and interesting diagnostic info. Made me discover an issue with my own X1 and Im wondering if you have the same

VR on order...

So, JIC anyone is having a similar problem (bike surging, cutting off on the road, popping and jumping, throwing almost every single CEL code, TPS reset fixes for about 3-5mins then problem persists, needs constant throttle to run at all...). Thru emails w/ crash, did some checking on the ECM and charging system. Here's what I did that drove me to ordering a new VR:

First, I check the battery. My voltage before starting was around 12.18. I turn the key on and flip the kill switch on, it drops to about 11.85. Bike starts up like normal, meaning no CEL and needing a little throttle to start, then starts going into its fits and wanting to shut off unless I keep a little throttle on. I adjust the throttle screw up a little to get the bike idling at about 1000rpm so I can work the meter (bike still runs rough and the CEL is still on at this point). I restart the bike and now at least don't have to hold the throttle open a little to keep at idle, voltage doesn't climb above 12.1 after start. So, it never gets anywhere near 13+ volts while at idle.

Second, I back-pin (i.e., run a sharpened paper clip up) the grey wire connx and check voltage to the ECM - before start its at 11.37 and stays around 11.3 after start. So, about 1volt below the battery reading at any point, before or after start.

(FFWD about a week due to crazy work hours...) Third, I warm the bike (still rough and CEL on) then open the stator/VR connx and hook into the stator leads. At idle (about 1000rpm) and warm, it was between 17-20 vac. I rev up to about 2000rpm and get 35-40 vac. Rev up to about 3000rpm, 58-65 vac. So, sounds like my stator is fine.

So, if the battery is checking out though not increasing to 13volts after idle, the ECM is seeing power (albeit a little low), and the stator is checking out, that leaves the VR.

As a side note (so, fourth step, I guess), I get a load tester to verify the charging system and validate the battery reading (same-same). I start the bike and check under load, barely drops to the top of the 'YELLOW' region, but not too worried. I start the bike get it to a warm idle, hook up the tester, give a little throttle and the reading drops to 'BAD' each time I give it gas. So, from earlier testing, I'm still coming to the VR gone bad.

If anyone has addn'l input, glad to hear it.

Hey all, had to move and new job doesn't give me much time to ride or work on the bike, so haven't been on here in a while. But, just in case anyone else is having crazy electrical issues where they one-by-one replace sensors and bike works intermittently, then runs like crap again, I wanted to post how this was resolved...

I finally loaded my X1 into the truck bed and took it down to an indy shop here in NoVa area with a good Buell tech... A day later and they confirmed it was a bad ECM. After they replaced it, ran with no problems. They didnt reflash the ECM to a race map so it isn't taking full advantage of what it's capable of, but it runs well.

Good amount of cash and downtime, but it's back on the road. Thanks to all that helped in the past.

Did you ever get this figured out? Sounds like a bad ground. Let me know. I know this is years ago but having similar problems now.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hession View Post
    Did you ever get this figured out? Sounds like a bad ground. Let me know. I know this is years ago but having similar problems now.
    Yeah - it was a bad ECM. Once that was changed out, it's been back on the road.

I burned some serious time and treasure on this... I changed out all the sensors, VR, plugs, wires, even fuses... I read thru the maint manual and it kept pointing back to the ECM, but every shop said that usually isn't the source of the problem but weren't able to posID the issue... The last shop I eventually got it to had a great tech that diagnosed the ECM after one afternoon of checking it over!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12