Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buell 1125cr tail mod

correct. the xb frame has symmetrical mounting points and the 1125 frame doesn't.

I need some advice. the next task is to cut the abs tailpiece. I don't want having to repaint the tailpiece as it is in mint condition as it is, so whatever method I use to make the cut, it has to be precise and clean in one go, without to many burrs etc.

which tool would be the most suitable for this?

I thought one of the mounting points looked odd.
    You can sand and buff the plastic right back new condition.
    The plastic has the pigment/paint whatever you want to call it mixed into it. So you may have to start with an 80 grit then a 120 then a 220 then a 400 then a.... till you get to the point that you can wet sand it and then buff with polishing compound. At least that worked on my XB... the first time I low sided!!!
    Look up buell xb plastic refinishing or something like that and I'm sure you'll find a write up on restoring buell plastics.

thanks for the advice.
    I marked the lines on both sides of the fairing as accurate as possible and used a thin grinding disk to make the cuts. I intentionally kept a few mm of margin so I can sand both sides. in this way I have a bit more control to get both lines right and equal. As can be seen in the second photo the friction of the cutting disk causes the abs to melt and form burrs. these can however easily be removed and don't cause any damage. I've also added a few pictures with the tailpiece on the bike. again, I have to do some more detailing to the tailpiece as can be seen in the photos, but it should give a good general idea. I'm in any case not far from the initial photoshop rendering ��

Looking good!
    You have me re-thinking my Lightning tail swap wish list!

hahahahah I guess that that is the best compliment I could get as the XB tail swap is basically the only mod I could find for the 1125. Thanks!

Looking good. What are you planning on doing for taillights?
    I hope I didn't miss that in your first post.
    Are planning on using some sort of LED strip like I've seen integrated into xbs tails?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    Looking good. What are you planning on doing for taillights?
    I hope I didn't miss that in your first post.
    Are planning on using some sort of LED strip like I've seen integrated into xbs tails?
    i'm considering the radiantz led strip, but my first idea is to add a very small led unit inline with the micro signal lights Inhave mounted on the licenceplate bracket. I haven't found it yet however so I have to see if it will look as I have in mind.
    Last edited by bikeryoke; 08-12-2015 at 07:43 PM.

The XBS subframe is different but what about the EBR one? I seem to remember a thread about that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast