Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C16 race fuel?

C16 race fuel?

Anyone ever tune a stock XB9 or 12 (with just bolt on modifications) on C16 race fuel?
    Is there any performance to be had with a new tune?

Using "race fuel" will not necessitate any tuning, and will not give you any power.

You can get some power by taking advantage of the high octane numbers to advance your timing curve (earlier and total).

Doesn't "tuning" cover ignition timing? Last time I checked it did.
    I just wanted to know if anyone has done this. I have to run my Viper on C16 now and was wondering if there was any benefits to be had on the Buell.

The way your question was worded, I thought you were asking if just adding race gas would make it way faster. No, it won't.

IF your bike is tuned well now with your "bolt-ons" the additional power you would get by tuning for 'C16 only' would be very minimal. The DDFI system uses a knock sensor to automatically adjust the timing. Go ahead and use it if you can afford it, it won't hurt anything. It's a much higher quality fuel than you get from the pump.

117 octane "C 16" has been around a long time. Racers use it because it's very forgiving when they don't tune it right and when they don't have the money to build a proper E85 fuel system. The only reason engines need super high octane fuel like that is super high compression, or super high boost. Street car guys use it when they slap a big supercharger on a stock engine and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    The way your question was worded, I thought you were asking if just adding race gas would make it way faster. No, it won't.

IF your bike is tuned well now with your "bolt-ons" the additional power you would get by tuning for 'C16 only' would be very minimal. The DDFI system uses a knock sensor to automatically adjust the timing. Go ahead and use it if you can afford it, it won't hurt anything. It's a much higher quality fuel than you get from the pump.

117 octane "C 16" has been around a long time. Racers use it because it's very forgiving when they don't tune it right and when they don't have the money to build a proper E85 fuel system. The only reason engines need super high octane fuel like that is super high compression, or super high boost. Street car guys use it when they slap a big supercharger on a stock engine and hope for the best.
    Thanks for the lesson on the inner workings of the knock sensor and the history lesson Also, the use of a "proper" e85 fuel system has nothing to do with money (e85 is the cheap way out) and more to do with application. C16 is superior to e85 in pretty much every way except price and availability. Then again that available fuel at the pumps is usually far from what I would call quality. Now if you buy e85 by the 55gal drum you'll get consistent quality.

There are other reasons to run "super high octane". My reason is pictured below.

Now back to my question. Has anyone tuned a Buell on C16?

Forget it........I'll just find out for myself. This is a waste of every ones time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by buell 4 me; 08-14-2015 at 02:10 PM. Reason: I give up

Dosent it say not to use race fuel in buells. In the manual somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by ztied View Post
    Dosent it say not to use race fuel in buells. In the manual somewhere?

I'm sure that's because leaded race fuel will foul out the O2 sesnor and catalytic converters (no cats on my Buell and O2's are cheap). Also the Stoichiometric Ratio for C16 is 14.82 vs pump gas at 14.7 (but most everything I've read says that pump fuel is actually much closer to 13.1) The difference in the Stoichiometric Ratio can be easily accommodated with proper tuning.

I'm just curious because I now have C16 on hand and the tank on the Buell is pretty small.......wanted to see if anyone has tried it.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by buell 4 me View Post
    I'm sure that's because leaded race fuel will foul out the O2 sesnor and catalytic converters (no cats on my Buell and O2's are cheap). Also the Stoichiometric Ratio for C16 is 14.82 vs pump gas at 14.7 (but most everything I've read says that pump fuel is actually much closer to 13.1) The difference in the Stoichiometric Ratio can be easily accommodated with proper tuning.

I'm just curious because I now have C16 on hand and the tank on the Buell is pretty small.......wanted to see if anyone has tried it.

if we ever needed our beloved ich....now is the time.

Cool I am interested in the info also, I treat my bike to a gallon of the 110 race fuel every so often, and it feels like it revs out a little more, but I was nervous it would mess something up.

That's perfect. Ask a question, then be a dick about the answers you get. We'll be sure to jump up to help you next time? Nope.

Did you just start this thread hoping to brag about a car?

BEHOLD! The field in which I grow my ****s. Lay thine eyes upon it! and see that it is barren...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast