Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '08 XB12X ECM Spy problems

'08 XB12X ECM Spy problems

Did it all as correctly as I can see. Made the donation, got a Windows (7 pro) machine, got the cable. Now, every time I try to do something with ECMSpy, I get Checksum Error. After restarting the program a half dozen times, it will download the EEPROM. I even managed to shut off the exhaust valve CEL activation (activator died). But, not able to get anything done. Wanted to test my fuel pump: Checksum Error.

I'm thinking my ECM might be on it's way out. Also, I'm not used to Windows machines. Is there anything that should be shut off or turned on?

Any input on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Try connecting using the cable name instead of the COM port, or vice-versa (only works for FTDI chipsets).
    It is possible you have a loose crimp inside the cable plug.
    If you are new to Windows, does this mean you are familiar with Mac or Linux? If so, install ECMSpy on your other system and give it a try.

I will give that a try and report back. Thanks.

I use Macs (let the hatred flow...) so I'm readjusting. I was wondering if there was firewall/antivirus/whatever that needs to be dealt with. I have an old Dell with Win 7.

Well, I had my turn signals quit and decided to put on my big girl panties and tear into the wiring harness. Amazingly easy...once I figured out to remove the headlight assembly. We'll see if this clears up the ECM Spy problems.

I use the free ECMDROID app and a bluetooth adapter for troubleshooting and loading maps. You can make your own adapter or buy one at buelltooth.com. It's kinda fun to turn your fuel pump on with your phone.

You say your bike is an 08 but I think most of ecmspy features only work on the 03-07 XB's. You need to use the other program out there, can't remember the name right now, I'm on a phone but someone will chime in with a link. IMO not a cable issue if you are able to connect to the bike though...

Edit: it's tunerpro

Thanks, guys. Once the harness is buttoned up, that's the next thing to make work correctly.
    About the harness: On both the black and the red wires where they split one into two, they were broken INSIDE the shrinkwrapped and glued up connectors. Like they were crimped by Charles Atlas and they sheared away from the copper connector before being sealed up. So there were just pushed up against it and after seven years migrated enough to intermittently open the connection. Makes me wanna open up every other connecter.

Looks like EcmSpy mono will work with your 08 bike but http://www.tunerpro.net/downloadApp.htm is the better option to use as far as I've seen. Check this thread on the matter between the two programs on an 08XB http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...py-for-08-xb12. This thread http://badweatherbikers.com/buell/me...tml?1346935252 has a GREAT step by step getting tunerpro up and running with map switching info etc...

Ecm spy works on my 08

Hope to put together the harness tomorrow then will start playing with the EMC Spy. When I first looked into the EMC Spy I'd read it was Windows only. So, I scored an older Dell with Win7 Pro from and IT amigo. Then I cruise Buellxb and see people using it with a MacBook Air. Is there really that much difference? I use my Air for work and wanted to use the Dell in the garage. (A $150 Dell in grease and dirt is easier on my nerves than my Mac) Does it make that much difference what OS you use? Thanks again for all the input!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast