Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LED stripe tail chop from stock tail

Banned
    After a few cycles priming+wet sanding with 1000 sandpaper it is ready to be painted

Looks pretty good

Banned
    The next step is to create the new license plate mount bracket.

Take 3 mm (1/8 in) aluminum plate, mark it, drill necessary holes. The bracket mounting holes will be attached to the stock tail bottom holes with new longer screws I mentioned before.

Cut the bracket

Finish bracket edges

Clamp the bracket between two pieces of wood and align the bending lines with the wood brick edge

Bend the bracket with hammer carefully verifying with angle template. You will have only one chance to bend it, you can not unbend it back because the aluminum plate will be broken. I recommend you to chamfer the wood edge to increase bending radius.

Sand the bracket with 320 sandpaper, degrease the surface and cover it by VHT Flame Proof primer. I use Flame Proof paint for the bracket because it is pretty durable paint.

Paint the bracket with VHT Flame Proof black color and cure it in the oven according the instruction on the spray can. I used my kitchen oven.

Last edited by TPEHAK; 09-06-2015 at 10:32 PM.

Brilliant.
    Wish you were selling these.
    Cheers.

Banned
    Thanks. Here is the progress for today.

Buell XB 2009-2010 has Designer Black subframe color. I bought the spray can here http://americansportbike.com/newdir/Item/17371

Paint the tail. Do not cover the Buell paint by clear coat, it looks like clear coat dilutes the Buell paint and changes color. Once I had noticed it I covered again the tail by Buell paint over the clear coat. Give it to dry at least 24 hours.

Cut a few washers from rubber sheet and put them on the license plate bracket with the new longer screws I mentioned about before. I use 1.5 mm thickness rubber.

Put heat shrinkable tubes on the LED strip wires to protect them against rubbing in the bracket holes while vibrations.

Assemble the LED tube and put some silicone glue in the tip to protect against water.

Remove the old tail.

Install the grommet I mentioned about before in the tail hole.

Loosely install the license plate bracket

Banned
    Insert the LED tube bracket in the tail and install the tail using Loctite for the tail screws

Insert the LED wires in the bracket holes

Remove the film from the back side of the D-tube

Carefully attach the D-tube to the bracket

Install the license plate using the light bolts I mentioned before

Insert the tube in the grommet hole. This is the original tube from original Buell turn signals wires.

Pack the light bolts wires in the tubes using heat shrinkable tubes and solder the wires

Solder the Dual element circuit (the circuit with resistor) to the red wire of the LED strip.

Solder and connect the rest.

Last edited by TPEHAK; 09-10-2015 at 10:09 AM.

Banned
    It works! Here is the result

Here are my old fender eliminator kit and the new chopped tail

The nest step is the LED flasher installation to fix the turn signal frequency. I bought the LED flasher here http://americansportbike.com/newdir/Item/16086

Very nicely done and nice write up.

This Ass couldn't be any sexier ... I was too lazy to cut the end and install LED's inside but will reconsider it over the winter while doing other bits ...

Niiiice. I'm in progress of the dame mod to my 1125. My strip will be on an R tail though.

Very clean work and well documented. Rep to you good sir :beer:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast