Thread: Rough/surging idle after warm up

Rough/surging idle after warm up

Hey guys,

I was riding my 2009 XB9SX the other day and when I got home the bike started idling very rough like it was going to stall. It started bouncing between 600 and 1800 rpms. When I started it back up an hour later it ran fine. I decided to datalog with ecmdroid while I warmed it up today and I noticed that whenever my bike goes over ~190 degrees C the idle starts to surge. After searching the forums and not finding much I tried turning off closed loop idle to see if that would make a difference, but sure enough as soon as the bike reached 190 C again it started idling like crap. The bike idles great when it's cold and my AFV is at 99.7%. I have an open airbox and Jardine exhaust on it. I don't really know a whole lot about tuning, just enough that I was able to get it to run well making minor changes after I bought my Jardine a couple of years ago and it's been running great up until now. Not sure if it makes any difference but I did change a fouled plug in the rear cylinder back in April.

Does anybody have any idea of what might be causing this?

I would check the temp sensor first. You do realize that 190 C = 374 degrees Fahnenheit, right? I sincerely doubt that that is the temp your bike is getting. Where are you reading this temp from, the instrument cluster or ECMDroid?

Quote Originally Posted by mrlogix View Post
    I would check the temp sensor first. You do realize that 190 C = 374 degrees Fahnenheit, right? I sincerely doubt that that is the temp your bike is getting. Where are you reading this temp from, the instrument cluster or ECMDroid?
    My cluster doesn't have a temp readout, I'm reading temp from ECMDroid. Why is that temp so doubtful on an air cooled bike? I was under the impression that normal operating temps range from 285-425 degrees F which is about 140-218 in degrees C... so what should normal operating temps be then? Is there an easy way to check the temp sensor?

I'm reading temp from ECMDroid

Is the ECM displaying codes?

I was under the impression that normal operating temps range from 285-425 degrees F

Air cooled aircraft engines typically run the max hot in the 400-450F range, but that is for a completely different engine design/intent than an air cooled motorcyle meant for stop and go traffic and widely variable ambient air temps. HD's sportsters typically run in the 250-280 F degree range. http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/a...p/t-50006.html

Not an XB guy, I have a water cooled 1125R. I realize that the XB engines are a higher performance engine that would run a little hotter because of compression ratio and electronic fuel control running leaner more accurate fuel mixtures. They still have to live from the factory with traffic jams in Arizona in mid-summer.

I am sure if I am wrong one of the XB Jedi Masters will be quick to jump in. Just noting something that seemed off to me when I read it.

I glanced at a 2005 XB manual. Didn't find any reference to normal operating temps. Trouble code would be #14 if ECM thought bike was overheating. Didn't notice a CEL light being on in the video while engine was idling erratically. I would think that the ECM would know that the engine is having a problem while this event is happening. If I am not mistaken the 2008 and up Xb's used the DDFI-3 ECM. I am still learning this firmware. If you could post some of the info from your datalogging Someone should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Sorry couldn't be any more help than that.

Thanks for the help so far guys. My CEL isn't on and ECMDroid has nothing to report as far as trouble codes. I had it overheat on me once maybe 4 years ago in traffic on a hot day so I know what that's like, but nothing like that is happening now. I'd be glad to send some datalogs to someone if they'd be willing to take a look.

Try this:
    http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...38/634269.html
    Also try cleaning all your grounds. I know that sounds weird but I ran across a few old threads where people complained of idle issues. The cure was checking battery terminals and cleaning all the grounding points on the frame and subframe.
    Also, while you're checking those grounds make sure there are no frayed/chaffed wires under the airbox. O2 and engine temp sensor wires are known to have wear issues if they are not routed correctly.
    I'm not sure how to test for it, but a faulty inlet air temp sensor could be a contributor to poor idle issue.
    Do all the easy peasy stuff, that requires no dough(just time) first, then if your issues persist move on to diagnosing parts that may need replacing.
    Good luck
    Last edited by Chicknstripn; 08-29-2015 at 03:34 PM.

OK thanks guys, I guess I'll start by checking out the temp sensor and the IAC motor.

My TPS was on the way out, did not throw codes, but would cause the bike to surge/cough at idle and eventually stall. There have been others with the same issue which is how I figured it out after Harley worked on my bike for a month and couldn't figure it out.