Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: xb12 factory race engine

xb12 factory race engine

I have the opportunity to buy a so called "factory race engine". Does anyone know if this actually exists and if so how would you know for sure that's what it is? I've had xb's for years and have never heard of such a monster....

It may not have a VIN number if its for real. At least thats my take . Its not made to pass any EPA/FED regulations so no VIN so it can't be registered. But at my age I maybe wrong.

That's terrible! But he's right, hee hee get it? No EIN = no street riding.

I don't know of any "Factory" XB racing teams? Should be easy enough to web search for the team(s). I'm sure someone on here knows more than I do.

Inactive
    keep in mind that the XB engine case assemblies were sourced and manufactured by H-D powertrain. in 5 decades now i have seen motorcycle factory "race engines"....replacement "crate engines"....XR750 grand national supplied engines....replacement cases....warranty issued engines....to name a few. not a single one fitting these descriptions ever had a VIN stamped/machined into the VIN pad. ever. if this motor has one....it isn't one. IMO

Yes, Buell had "3.6" factory race motors. They were made for the Formula Xtreme class. I have an unfinished 3.6 engine case. They used a crankshaft with a slightly shorter stroke (3.6") than the XB12 and had a few other neat differences compared to the stock XB engines. The engines did not come with numbers stamped into them but the builder could have easily marked it however they wanted to.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    It may not have a VIN number if its for real. At least thats my take . Its not made to pass any EPA/FED regulations so no VIN so it can't be registered. But at my age I maybe wrong.
    Here in AZ. they don't use the engine #'s for registration, just the frame VIN. Buy it and move here.

Yep, I remember the 3.6" race motors as well. But Eric's far smarter and got there first. Did they have a tranny trap door or was that only the XBRR builds?

That might be the xb12rr, thats one buell racing xb i know

Quote Originally Posted by AZkneeslider View Post
    Here in AZ. they don't use the engine #'s for registration, just the frame VIN. Buy it and move here.
    I'm from Ontario, engine numbers don't mean anything here for registration either so you can bet it will be mounted in a street legal frame if that's what it ends up being. Going to check it out this weekend, will update with my findings.

Where I live(Wisconsin) the frame number and the engine number have to match. If no match you no have motorcycle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast