Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lied to

Lied to

Hey guys, I think I might have been lied to by the guy I scored the bike off of craigs from (if you can imagine someone on craigslist not being honest!!!). He told me that the bike had an "EBR Race Kit (exhaust, intake, and ecm)". So I've been tearing the thing apart to do a 9s to 9r conversion and I thought about the ECM. I've seen pictures of them and the race ones were labeled "FOR RACE USE ONLY" and mine clearly doesn't have that on it. So, I looked up the part numbers and to my chagrin it appears that I have a stock ECM! Now, and here's where my questions comes in, is it possible that this ecm could have been reprogrammed to the race map/specs? Is there a way to find this info out if I don't have the ecm spy cable? What would be better, upgrading the ecm to the race one or remapping the one that I already have? To the best of my knowledge I do have the race exhaust. I'll try to post a pic, but it has the dual outlets instead of the single can dump. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I should also add that I don't track this bike. Its my second bike (my first is a Dyna Wide Glide) and I'm just looking for something more sporty/fun than the harley. I don't want/need race performance, but I don't want to hurt my engine or any other components if I'm not running the proper setup for the hardware that I already have. So far the bike has run pretty good, but I haven't had it out for long periods of time as I got a brake line leak right after I started riding it and now its disassembled. Thanks again!

Alan

IMG_0708.jpgIMG_0711.jpgIMG_0818.jpg

Looks like a military person owned it. And they lied to you looks like a hawk pipe and oem ecm, there could be a tune on it, but you will need ecm spy or tuner pro to compare it to. Always good to research first,lots of peeps on here with tons of knowledge. Did you get a good deal.

Very good call, definitely could be a Hawk! And I got an ok deal. On the money line it was kind of a wash if not a loss, but on the fun line it was a win. I traded a 94 Eddie Bauer Bronco that I bought from a scrapyard and fixed up for the bike. All in, I had maybe $1300 in the Bronco but the bronco had a clean title and this xb has a rebuilt title. So, as long as I keep it and have fun with it I think I came out ahead.

I'm not too upset about the guy lying to me, like I said previously, I just don't want to hurt my engine or any other components if I'm not running the proper setup for the hardware that I already have.

Quote Originally Posted by ztied View Post
    Looks like a military person owned it. And they lied to you looks like a hawk pipe and oem ecm, there could be a tune on it, but you will need ecm spy or tuner pro to compare it to. Always good to research first,lots of peeps on here with tons of knowledge. Did you get a good deal.
    Why would you say a military person owned it?

There are Department of Defense parking stickers on it. I think it was on a base in TN. I know for a fact the guy I got it from is from Indiana and he told me he got it from a guy in Tennessee.

The ECM shown is stock, 2003 vintage. The ECM calibration could have been modified to have EBR ECM values, which if true, would be misleading at a minimum.

Regarding it having an "EBR Race Kit" (ECM, air filter, muffler), I think a full kit for the XB9 was only available from Buell, but I could be wrong.

+1 to What Readyxb just said. As far as the race kit is concerned it probably is an after market exhaust, definetly not stock, and the actualities of the exhaust/tune/kit have been blurred through the keys to the bike changing hands. Either way, if all you have into it, rebuilt title or not, is $1300 bucks and the bike is a sound performer.. ...I think it's a win.
    And like everyone has said, unless you have a way to compare maps on that ECM you really don't know if it's been tuned or not.
    BTW I've owned an R for a long time and I think the S is a much better looking bike. At least it's more of what Buell represented back in the day; minimalist.
    Plastics are for race replicas.
    Just my 2cents.
    All in all I think you got a good score.

Yeah, I'm happy with it. One of the few regrets I have in this short life is trading my single owner (me) '06 CBR1000RR for my Harley. I miss the sport bike life! And when I was trying to sell this Bronco and the guy made me an offer, I kind of just jumped on it. Chicknstripn, I totally understand where you're coming from on the S vs R, but I always liked a full fairing bike and the R will get me closer to that than the S will. I am pretty sure that Ztied was correct and that its a Hawk exhaust.

Would you guys spend the $40 on the ecm spy cable and flash the ECM either way? I already have the aftermarket exhaust, lord knows i'm going get a better filter and delete the box. I think you're 100% right about the actualities being blurred, and now, its up to me to make it what I want it to be. I'm just not certain I know what that is yet (beyond being a Firebolt with Harley Mirage orange plastics and black frame). I love this forum and its users, everyone is so nice and helpful!

same here. i was told my bike had a ebr race only ecm and when i got it in garage and started to break it down to go through it i found that he had stripped the money parts and replaced with stock....not a big deal i suppose. not everyone believes in integrity and honesty. i got him down 500 on asking price and i think he figured he owed me and prob knew i wouldnt take the pod off the cr to inspect. Unless there and big issues with the bike i think you did good.

I would say ride the bike for awhile and enjoy it then do your mods later. By the way think you got a good deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast