Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choose 1

Choose 1

2007 Buell XB12s - All black, unmodified, still has warning sticker on swingarm. 13k miles, claims to be owned by a motorcycle mechanic. - $3,500

2007 Buell XB12s - Translucent Red, red rims, seems to be unmodified. 1,750 miles. - $5,000

What is 11k miles worth to people?

the 3500$ one all day. Decent price. 13k miles is nothing.

well in this case it looks like the extra $1500 would be worth it to me. I have learned that no matter the appearance, you still can't be sure. The warning sticker can be taken two ways. The owner didn't molest the bike and it's 99% original, but that doesn't mean that it was well maintained with regular oil changes and anything beyond dealer service. The only for sure thing about the red one is the minimal miles means that it hasn't had many miles past any service from the dealer for neglect to happen. 1750 miles since 2007 = average of 218 miles per year. Tendency with a toy's (motorcycles, boats, etc., etc.) is most use when new with successive years use trailing off. I would thoroughly check either bike out before purchase though. You have a better chance of negotiating a lower price with the low mileage bike though typically. It's usually being sold because of financial issues (he, she or they decided they need the money more than the toy because of family changes) or just lack of use and time to move on. Some of the best deals is when 'momma' says time to go, especially if she is involved with the negotiation. I know that hurts guys, but it's the truth. Just my .02

Yeah the red bike is being sold by someone who is building a house. Started asking 5600 and we are down to $5k now. Still kinda high. I too like the peace of mind that comes with lower miles. Bought my non translucent red bike- 2004 xb12s with 700 miles on it in 2008.

Red bike is no doubt on original tires which would be additional cost. I don't want to be riding around on 8 year old rubber... I don't use any 8 year old rubbers
    Last edited by Macbuell; 09-02-2015 at 03:34 PM.

Yeah you don't want a blowout on any kinda rubber either one will land you with multiple doctor visits!

ive got 2 plugs in my tire. no worries here. lol

I would go with the red one, people that claim to be mechanics scare me.

Yeah. Do the Cherry Bomb one.

I'd go with the higher milage bike. Too little miles isn't good. The oil could have potentially never been changed for example on the low mile bike. Very low mileage bikes are typically not owned by enthusiast who take care of their stuff. They are owned by people who liked the idea of a bike then got bored. So it sits for long periods of time and usually don't get the care they should get. Unless it is owned by a true bike guy that's has too many bikes to ride regularly.

The 13k milage bike is in the sweet spot where it got taken out for rides. It also hopefully would have been maintained as it got used. 13k miles is also enough for any problems to rear its ugly head, so it most likely isn't a factory lemon.

My $.02, I bought an 08 scg over a year ago with less than 4k miles on it. Super clean. 3 months after I was tearing it down and doing a full rebuild on the engine due to the rod bearing failure I didn't foresee. Bring a telescopic magnet and stuff it in the swing arm. If it looks like a disco ball, walk away. Sniff the oil too. If it smells like gear oil be nervous and investigate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast