Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I have a minute from my fellow Buell family members please?

Can I have a minute from my fellow Buell family members please?

Alright guys here it is. I know some of you guys are opposed and some are for the cruiser conversion and I need some information. If you are a nay sayer on this topic then please hold back your responses. Until you read my reasoning at least.

Unfortunately, my lovely fiance (32 years young) has Parkinson's disease and it is progressing faster than most. She can no longer ride with me on the Buell perched up on the back.

However, we both love the bike because it is the first bike we bought together and she holds many memories near and dear to her because of that bike. We are wanting to convert the XB to a cruiser so we can keep our beloved baby in spirit but at the same time make a new one that we can ride together. I can't imagine anything more bad-ass than a custom cruiser being powered by the amazing v-twin that is Buell.

I need the nitty gritty on this guys. What can i re-use from the buell?

Im going to most likely buy a rolling chassis (sportster) or build a frame.

I once stumbled upon a thread of a guy who did the conversion and provided pictures and detailed descriptions the entire way through the conversion. Too bad for me I didn't save it.

I know this isn't a small process and that there are a lot of factors to be considered when doing this. I need something to get me going though. Please help me out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cuse12; 09-03-2015 at 01:30 PM.

I saw a guy onece who found a company that makes axles for anything! So he put one on his X1 so he could still ride with a bum leg. It looked really good! I think he used everything but the rear brakes...

This is going to cost you way more than just buying a Sporty.
    These are cool and use a proprietary frame:

from here:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buell-Cafe-R...fe8ee5&vxp=mtr

The seat part looks like a bolt-on unit, I imagine you could re-designone thats lower and longer to take full seat with a backrest.
    Almost everything there is Buell except the tank, frame, and rear sets. I don't think you even have to do the chain conversion.
    Last edited by Cooter; 09-03-2015 at 05:24 PM.

Reuse the front end suspension, wheels, powertrain, electrical wiring, fuse box, ECM, Pulleys, Exhaust (header at least), and with so modification skills you could reuse the headlights, rear suspension, perhaps even the triple trees. The powertrain will need a different intake manifold due to the gas tank being a gas tank should be able to swipe off a EFI Sporty tho and the whole air cleaner system. You'll need a frame to accept the buell motor as there are a few small differences. Perhaps Ill dig up the link I once found when I was playing this idea myself

http://thekneeslider.com/buell-sport-chopper/
    Here is a good start, the knee slider. He reused the swing arm/oil tank also...

Sorry to hear about your fiance.
    How about a CanAm type of chassis, can a Buell motor fit in one of those or are 3 wheels out altogether?

Not a bad idea, even 4 wheels could be cool.

With a Ferrari V-8!

You could put the Buell motor in this one…

I can't even comprehend how fast they would accelerate with all that traction. It would be a super fun one-off project for a Buell motor.
    Last edited by Cooter; 09-03-2015 at 11:40 PM.

Sorry for ur tough times brother, I think Hook937 nailed it for you two. Just put ur own spin on it. I wish you two a speedy recovery on getting back in the saddle together. Keep us posted, we are all here for you man!

That was devastating to read about your better half. I admire your enthusiasm for a build but: I think time is more important. Don't take this the wrong way, but from the perspective of a person nearly twice your age, believe me you don't want to spend her valuable time waiting for you to build something. We did an addition on our house and planned for my wifes father to live in a portion of it. he died before it was done. Time is most valuable here, so don't reinvent the, well the Harley. Buell is a better harley, but you clearly need a traditional Harley so she can sit behind you and lean back, ( I presume) This is a pretty touchy subject so try to see what I'm getting at. If you can't afford two bikes, sell the buell and buy a harley now, like this weekend. Do this so you two can do what you want right now. You could always buy a buell in the future but you will not be able to replace these days. Good luck in whatever you choose. I'm sure your Fiance is worth whatever sacrifice you need to make.

^^^^^I fully agree with July.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast