Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can I have a minute from my fellow Buell family members please?

I'm in with July4 and Nobody, never thought about it that way probably because I've never had to...my eyes got teary. Do what July4 says man, get out there and enjoy each other NOW.

Cuse12, I too agree. My heart goes out to you and your fiancé. I'm sorry for what the two of you are going to endure.
    On the subject of bikes and what not... If the bike really is that important, keep the Buell for the memories and those few times you may get a chance to take a solo spin. Or keep it to just look at and reflect. For the times the two of you get to ride, buy something else that's comfy and safe for the two of you. I think that would be much cheaper and less time consuming than a one off custom build.
    Whatever you do keep perspective. The bike is an inanimate object that can be replaced. You can never replace time, memories or a loved one.

I agree with all this! the time to do it is now as in the future these will be your "good" times to look back on and cherish, mate time slips by fast so strike while the irons hot. also what ever bike you choose google all the disabled biker stuff you can you will be amazed at the adaptations out there that can help both rider and pillion, take one of her issues at a time and solve each problem then on to the next! i am a member of the National Association of Bikers with Disability (www.nabd.org.uk) in the Uk which is a good place to start to get ideas and i am more than happy to help you should you need it just ask! i wish both well and good luck!

Thanks to all of you who have responded. I had tears from a few of those responses. My fiance and I have been through a lot. The thing is, with physical therapy and prescriptions, I can't afford to go out and hop on a brand new harley. ****, I can't even afford a used one right now. At the same time we are rebuilding our credit so financing is sort of out. Could I get a sporty chassis and re-locate the mounting brackets on our engine to fit a sporty setup?

Guys I can't thank you enough for your fine words of encouragement and sympothy. I'm so grateful to be a part of this forum. Thanks again to all you guys.

before you do major mods try things like a solid mounted top box or sissy bar type set up for a back rest also some grab handles fitted to you or the bike then maybe different footrests with velcro anke straps that will instantly release should the need arise! even a taller screen to take the air up and over you both? a gripper seat cover may help her feel safer too?

Or a tail swap from an ss or uly? a fair amount of work but used parts are available!

I was just going to suggest what Tone said. Swapping a Uly tail with the backrest might be your easiest/least expensive option, allowing you to keep your Buell and still ride together. Or you could try fabricating a backrest for your 'bolt.

FXR Harleys from the 80s and early 90s can be had on the cheap. Mr. Buell worked on designing the FXR when he was an engineer for Harley-Davidson. They are known to be one of the best handling Harleys made and are not desired by most HOG riders. I had one and it was a lot of fun to ride for a cruiser. Best of luck to you and your fiance!
    http://www.hotbikeweb.com/bikes/sepa...ys-history-fxr

Do you guys know anybody who has made that swap? Its sad to say that I never even thought of that. I'm just wondering how much fabrication skills I will need to make a Uly tail fit on the xb. Any links would really be appreciated. I will look in the meantime. Just an update, I found an 07 HD 1200 Nightster at my local Indian dealer with 6k on it for $5,400.00 I am considering it and Im going to look at it today but a big part of me doesn't want to buy a true harley. The buell engine performs so much better to me than a true blooded harley Ugh, decisions, decisions. Ultimately its all about making the sacrifice for my girl and her being back in the wind with me. So I may have just talked myself into the right decision!
    Last edited by cuse12; 09-04-2015 at 03:12 PM.

cuse12 where are you located?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast