Thread: New to me XB9S

New to me XB9S

Hey guys just picked up a 2003 XB9S a few days ago. The check engine light was on when I picked it up. I took it to my local Harley dealership to clear the codes. The codes I pulled were battery voltage, O2 sensor, both coils, and the tach. They turned off the lights and everything stayed off except code 24 and 25. The bike runs great, no rough idle. They recommended to take the NGK plugs out and put HD plugs back in......

Tonight I checked the codes and 35 was back along with 24 and 25. I've looked over the wiring the best I could. and didn't see any exposed wire. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
    Ryan

Welcome!

Don't know about your specific codes, but a lot have had electrical problems that ended up being lose battery terminals. I'm sure though that if it were that simple, the dealer would have caught it. Hope you get it sorted out quickly and painlessly.

William (03 xb9sl)

I've triple checked battery connection. Unless it could be at the starter. I haven't checked there. Heck, I'm not even sure where the starter is. I've got never wires waiting and a new coil in the mail. Maybe I'll get lucky with that, but I'm not getting my hopes up as the bike just show any symptoms of coil problems...
    Last edited by ryan.swank; 09-05-2015 at 03:12 AM.

Inactive
    ryan: familiarize with your bike before you start tearing into it. a 2003 S model is very simple and straight-forward to work on. use the link below for code reference and how to use the diagnostics port to obtain them. port under your seat. no dealership required. your starter is that large black lump directly behind the rear cylinder and sitting on top of the engine case. bull-schnitzel on removing NGK plugs and replacing with H-D. NGK DCPR9EIX is iridium plug of choice. do NOT rotate motor to replace rear plug. can walk you thru it if required. think about replacing the O2 sensor if code active again. when replacing coil run a strand of wire from the rear coil pack bolt to the negative battery cable frame attachment lug. something along the lines of 14 gauge is fine. acts as auxilary ground and known to enhance rideabilitiy.
    http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...77/146574.html

Thanks, the o2 light has remained off. I'm the one that put the ngk plugs in,and I didn't rotate the motor. Thanks though.

I just don't understand the tach code being on, since it works properly.

bump.. anymore ideas?