Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blown motor?

Blown motor?

Ok, think I put a hurting on my ole buell. I rode in a vietnam wall memorial ride last weekend. It was around 90 and high humidity here in ohio. The ride was about 1- 1 1/2 hours long. It was like a giant parade that went for 3 towns. We were going slow and of course and I got caught up in the moment revving the hell out of my engine like all the other Harleys for all the people on the side of the rode. It is called "Rolling Thunder", there were over 9000 bikes, so It was hard not to get caught up in the moment. Anyway, we ended the ride at a local ballfield where they set up the wall replica. When I got on my bike to leave, its making a loud knock! I let it sit over night to cool down, and still has a loud knock. I am assuming something went to hell inside my engine. I plan to rebuild, Any ideas on what to look for, or just crack it open and start digging around.
    Sorry for the long post just to say my engine is knocking but it was an honor and a hell of an experience to see all the american flags and people waiving at you. I got choked up a few times.

What year is the bike and how many miles?
    Check that you don't have a low oil level. If all the fluid levels are good and you still have a "knock" try to describe the area the knock is coming from.
    Was your fan working during the ride? And did a CEL light come on?
    If your bike isn't smoking then I'd say your engine isn't blown. My guess would be you probably burned up a head or base gasket and now the engine sounds different because of that. Do a very thorough check for leaks around the engine.
    Let us know what you discover.
    Good luck.

2004 engine with about 20k. I had heads and valves done(cleaned up, new seals and such) 2 years ago. Looks like there is enough oil, thats the first thing I thought. Loud thump coming from bottom end. You can feel it when sitting on the bike. Sounds pretty horrible. No leaks that I can see. No engine light. Fan was working for sure, I could here it while riding and of course when the bike was shut off. No smoke. I am going to get a good look at it today, it has been raining and I been too busy to really get a good look at it. Will post up.

Ouch. If it's a low frequency knock that gets louder with RPM, 1 per revolution. I'd say rod bearing
    Post a video to make sure. But sounds like it's time for a stroker kit!!

Crash says "just because it isn't smoking doesn't mean it isn't bad. things to check before condemning the motor, make sure primary chain is tight as well as the nuts for the primary drive, if that all checks out and your oil level is good, you tanked a rod bearing.

If all above tests are inconclusive rotate the engine and pull the front jug. There should be no play in the rod bearing when you yank on the piston. If there is it has a bad bearing. Put a magnet in the swing arm and check for race material. If you get a bunch it's time to fine tooth everything for the extent of damage. Good luck.

+ 1 to rotate and test. That's really all there is left to do if you've already done everything that has been previously suggested.
    I will say this, scrutinize every part inside the rocker box and heads as you tear into it. You never know you might get lucky and have "something" other than a connecting rod bearing as your issue.
    You're gonna be pulling it apart anyway....
    Oh another easy way to see if you are indeed having some sort of bearing failure is to stick a magnetic prob into the oil tank/swing arm. If it come out looking like a sea urchin than you know you have bottom end issues.
    When my crank went out the oil drain plug didn't have that much metal on it. However, when I followed the advice of anther member and probed inside the swingarm, IT WAS LOADED!
    Good luck
    Oh shoot. One last thing. Before any engine tear down, pull the oil pump. I don't believe 04 buells have the upgraded drive gear. You might get lucky and discover this is your issue
    Last edited by Chicknstripn; 09-05-2015 at 08:02 PM.

Thanks for all the info guys. I will try to take a good look at her today. Been a little busy. This past winter I upgraded the oil pump gear to the bronze one. I really need to just get it out and drain the oil to look for shavings, this was the first thing i thought of also. But on the upside, the wife told me to find a cheaper bike to finish out the riding season here in ohio. As much as I love buells, I am a cheap ricer to play with. Got my eye on a cbr f4i for a really good price at the moment. The 1125 is also hanging in the back of mind.

Woo hoo!!!!! I found it. I feel like a jackass but thats how u learn. My primary chain adjuster backed out. My chain was flopping around making one hell of a knocking sound. Luckly didnt lose all the oil and burn up the clutch or something. Still going to pull the primary cover and check for damage before I ride it. Cant believe it, lol.

Congratulations on the find, "very fortunate"!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast