Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shift Shaft removal/replacement

Shift Shaft removal/replacement

Hey all, I recently dropped my 03-XB9R on the left side.
    It broke the shift lever and flipped the ratchet part on the shift shaft inside the case.
    I pulled the cover and primary chain assembly and fixed it.
    It has a small nick in the stop pin,and the ratcheting part is a little loose on its pivot which looks like it could flip again, if not careful.
    Can I replace the shift shaft itself without splitting the cases ?
    IMAG0456.jpg

I have searched and haven't found any explanation on removing the shift shaft, besides the manual, which says to remove the shaft to access the hidden bolt holding the cases together.

Figured it out.
    Thanks

What was the answer?

Just pull it out.
    I had fear that it was connected inside the case,
    But it just rests in a bushing.
    The parts book had a nice diagram, which I noticed when looking up parts to order.

I don't have anything relative to say here. Clicked on this thread and then thought it said **** shaft, scroll down and the first thing I see is "Just pull it out".

You sick bastards.

Carry on.

I just purchased an 03' XB9R, and the previous owner had used vice grips on the shifter shaft... So sad.... And now the splines on the shifter shaft are knarled beyond use.

Bike has 1006 miles, and seems to run great. Planning to redeem this beast!

Looking for a source for a new shifter shaft. Did you end up grabbing a new one? If so, where do you find one? I have seen ones for an '05 XB12R... Do you know if that would fit my '03 XB9R?

Also, to remove the old shifter shaft, do you have to remove the clutch pack along with the primary chain?

Thank you for your help, and time!

Quote Originally Posted by Schnate View Post
    I just purchased an 03' XB9R, and the previous owner had used vice grips on the shifter shaft... So sad.... And now the splines on the shifter shaft are knarled beyond use.

Bike has 1006 miles, and seems to run great. Planning to redeem this beast!

Looking for a source for a new shifter shaft. Did you end up grabbing a new one? If so, where do you find one? I have seen ones for an '05 XB12R... Do you know if that would fit my '03 XB9R?

Also, to remove the old shifter shaft, do you have to remove the clutch pack along with the primary chain?

Thank you for your help, and time!
    Looking for a source for a new shifter shaft.
    dealer inventories...online new/used parts sources such as ebay

I have seen ones for an '05 XB12R... Do you know if that would fit my '03 XB9R?

yep!

yep!

NOTE: may or may not be listed/suggested in SM but....when doing this job....MUST adjust the assembly upon installation. simple job: trans in 3rd....shifter assembly shaft nuts loose....either #32 drill or 0.116 OD round shaft....place this into shifter pivot alignment hole and wiggle shift shaft pawl till all aligns....then snug up bottom nut first, then top nut. recheck alignment then torque both nuts to spec.
    Last edited by Barrett; 07-01-2020 at 09:07 AM.

Damn! Excellent advice as usual! You make that lunatic fringe guy look like a rookie.

Barrett, thanks for info!

Not seeing the assembly adjustment in service manual. Do you have any more info on this adjustment?

Looks like the shifter shaft just comes straight out and goes back in? Is this not the case? Which bolts are you referring to?

(Not my image, but just as a reference.)
    IMG_0393.jpg

I saw a youtube video of a guy setting the shifter pawls for a Buell Blast (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjevSam_5yY), but does the XB9R have this same set up with the two adjustment bolts?

It doesn't look the same inside the primary case of my bike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast