Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Charging Issue and no start

Charging Issue and no start

Hi my fellow Buellers.

I thought You might be able to assist with your advice and experience - Please help before I start buying parts I don't yet need.

I have 2 issues:

1: Bike has charging problem which is weird I think.
    Briefly: it was not charging - I went to the garage, checked connectors, cleaned them all, removed and cleaned voltage regulator - second checks - surprisingly everything started working. Bike was charging again - AWESOME.
    Next day just in case before a went for a ride I checked charging - again nothing Again - cleaned all plugs - no change this time. Figured - something is broken.

Checks done as per manual.
    * Fuses fine
    * All plugs cleaned and checked
    * Leads checked - all fine
    * Battery - replaced 2 months ago
    * stator checks (I need confirmation if this is done correctly)
    - Ohmmeter - checked all stator sockets and ground - FINE
    - Resistance - as per pictures. All sockets show the same value-0.8 ohms. Checked probes shorted-they show 0.6. I worked out that socket resistance is 0.2 in this case which means - FINE (correctly if I'm wrong - hopefully not)
    20150911_125037.jpg
    20150911_125055.jpg
    20150911_125217.jpg

* AC output check (This is the first time - when it was working)

When did this the second time - it was showing the same value all the time.

* Charging on battery terminals
    When I checked the first time - when it started working after clean up - it was charging. I don't have a video clip for that.
    Trouble is - when I checked next day when it was not charging - Voltage was going crazy. at around 1000rpm's it was showing battery voltage around 12.40v. While I was increasing RPMs charging was actually going down - 9v, 6v sometimes. Sometimes going up as well. Up and down at all range of RPM's.

QUESTION - is it VOLTAGE REGULATOR that has to be replaced????

2: Bike didn't start at all today.
    Only this sound and battery fully loaded.

I've checked and cleaned all neutral connections. Checked positive as well.
    Bike has 16k miles on a clock - starter????

voltage reg on the way out now you will have to charge your battery because you do not have enough current (12v) to start bike.

Thanks. Regulator as I thought then?

Do I need to order anything else or just the regulator? Is it plug and play in terms of replacing it?

Battery - is it possible that battery is damaged due to the fact that it was charged few times and regulator was going crazy?

Should just need regulator make sure you get the right year for your bike in 08-10 they changed the connector ends. Battery you should charge and then load test to make sure it is ok. Any auto-parts store should be able to test for you.

Inactive
    good advice as usual from rick above. you didn't mention your year but 2 styles of VR's: 03-07 have harness and plug travelling over to right side of bike and connect to large plug behind the front pulley cover. 08-10 have harness and 2 plugs making connections behind left side air intake scoop and affixed to same. batteries are pretty resilient. i would charge it for 1/2 hour with 6 amp charger....NOT a tender type charger. it should be fine. i would also replace the ignition relay found in your fuse box. they are cheap money and interchange with ford and chrysler a/c relays. don't know why but a charging system gone awry typically seems to harm this relay as well.

It is XB12S 2004 make.
    Many thanks for all help so far. Will order relay as well if you say so and get the battery charged as per advice and get it tested.

Is it possible that when I removed regulator and cleaned it, it started working for a little while? I can't tell if it worked for 1h or longer but worked again. I was looking but can't any info of if it is possible to fix it so guess replacement is only cure.

Inactive
    anything is possible considering it's an electrical component. the VR is a sealed non-serviceable component. several H-D online dealerships such as new castle and surdyke offer them at good prices. also several warrantied good used units on ebay. also several board members sell quality used units if you decide to go "good used". relays available at any quality auto parts store. take along old one and match up. the amp rating and size is embossed on top of relay....match up the pins. the VR cannot be "fixed".

That what i thought - I better go for new one - don't want to replace it again soon. I don't really trust used electrical components.

Will compare local HD dealers and TwinMotorcycles in NL and see what's better deal. It's not that quick and easy to get all parts here in Europe.

I'll update thread once VR replaced. Hopefully with great news.

Inactive
    an offer of assistance for you if this helps: check with sources you mentioned and go online and also check pricing and availability with surdyke H-D and newcastle H-D. get correct part # and pricing. i don't know where you are in europe but shipping weight is 2 US pounds for a VR. box is standard size. cheapest shipping is USPS first class air. if you are in scandanavian countries, western europe, UK for example the cost is $28 via USPS first class air. if you find what you want online from US source and they will not ship overseas or quote you exorbitant shipping price of $60 or some nonsense like that then have it shipped here and i'll send over to you for my online shipping cost. if that helps.

I don't know who came up with the new rep point system, but it sucks. I know that I have given John rep points in the past 3 months, but I have given out to others who deserved it since. WTF, how can anyone argue with me when John consitently gives out help and advice as above. Would someone else give one to him for me pleeease.

If not, John +1 in my book and I am keeping tract. Above and beyond what could be expected good Sir.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast