Thread: Buell Blast New Rider Help!

Buell Blast New Rider Help!

Hi, I have recently gotten into riding with the Blast being my first bike. I've been riding it for 2 weeks now and have began to notice some problems. About a week ago, I decided to take it out onto the highway for the first time. I was going about 75-80 tops. I got off the highway back into the city and come up to a stop light. I'm sitting there letting it idle in neutral and out of nowhere the RPMs start to drop and the bike dies on me. It was pretty warm that day, atleast 90 degrees, and I hear this can be a common from for air cooled engines when they get to hot. I couldn't start it again for another 5 minutes or so. Anyway I figured it would probably be best to change the oil to something heavier (20w-50). It seemed like may have fixed the issue with the heat until today. This morning on my way to class, I started the bike to let it warm up for awhile before I left. I noticed that after about 30 seconds of letting it idle in neutral warming up, the RPMs dropped again and eventually the bike shut off. Again taking a solid minute or two to start up again. I figured maybe if set the idle a little higher, it might solve this problem so that the RPMs wouldn't drop so low. So later that night, I decide to take it for a spin to see if this fixed it. The first thing I notice is that when I let go of the throttle to shift or come to a stop, the RPMs are still high, as if the throttle was still somewhat engaged. I figured I may have set the idle too high. Then when I got on the highway to go back home and find that as soon as I reach about 75 mph, the bike shuts off on me. Everything electrical still worked, just the engine shut off. I pulled off to the side of the road and waiting about 3 minutes before I started it up again. When it shutted itself off, the engine oil light came on. I noticed the bike was kind of warm again, but wasn't too sure if this overheating would have been the cause for it shutting off on it's own. I don't think it could be a problem with the oil. Could the high idle be what is causing these problems? I set the idle a little lower when I got back home and will take it out again tomorrow and see if it's fixed. In the mean time any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. I bought the bike used and have only really changed the oil on it. Maybe the air or oil filter needs to be changed? Thanks!

Edit: Oh, for what it's worth, when I was pulled of on the side of the highway, I noticed that I was a little low on gas, maybe like half a gallon left. I switched it to reserve and pulled off to a gas station and filled up. (Not sure if it being low on gas would cause it to shut off like it did). Anyway I set the petcock back to ON, and drive back home without it shutting off (except the high idle when stopping problem) but I was going atleast 30 mph slower.
    Last edited by marcusal; 09-17-2015 at 04:47 AM.