Thread: Drivetrain noise, hanging idle

Drivetrain noise, hanging idle

Some newbie questions. I've put about 700 miles on my new to me 03 XB9R now. But I have noticed a few things;
    After the bike is warmed up, it has a hanging idle from about 2500 to idle. No, not just a slow RPM drop from a heavy flywheel. The rate of the RPM drop actually slows down noticeably at that point.

Bike runs way smoother and pops on decel when I'm pushing it at high RPMs repeatedly.

Bike makes drivetrain noise I'm not familiar with. Taps a little bit, on top of the whirling noises which i assume are normal camshaft noises.

Is everything normal? I would really like to fix the hanging rpm issue. It is getting annoying.

Bike is an 03 XB9R with 11k miles, with EBR exhaust, K&N filter, and EBR ECM.

For the hanging idle - Got ECMSYP or Tunerpro and a cable? If so, try doing a TPS reset following the procedure in my recent post responses. If not, just try lowering your idle slightly after it's warmed up and see if that works. For the noise issue - Generally speaking, XBs can be noisy compared to IL4s, especially if you have an open airbox mod (although you didn't mention having it) which can make the cam/valvetrain noise more noticeable.

I checked and adjusted the primary chain tension. It was at almost an inch. Low end is so much smoother and the engine is much more responsive now. I'm in love all over again. The loud tapping noise is also gone.

My bike cut out on the ride from with some friends the other day. Got super pissed. Turns out someone cross-threaded the battery terminal nut, and it vibrated out. No wonder power was flickering on and off. Local motorcycle dealer (La Moto in Arlington, VA) gave me a free terminal nut. Dropped and lost that one when I pulled the battery to clean the ground point. Drove to another dealer further away to get another one. Jump started the bike and rode it around to charge it up a bit. Glad battery isn't completely dead and is holding a charge.

The hanging idle isn't fixed yet. Going to see if I can borrow my roommate's laptop and do the TPS reset (mine is pretty much a desktop since my screen is about to fall off)