Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just took delivery of my first bouncing baby Buell...

Just took delivery of my first bouncing baby Buell...

Hello everyone. This is my first post as a brand new member. I just took delivery of my first Buell, a 2008 Ulysses. A previous owner really decked it out. I am looking forward to my first bit of quality saddle time. I am coming from the metric sportbike world. However, I wanted something that I felt was more comfortable for both myself and my passenger. My last bike was a 2001 RC51. Fun bike, but not comfortable at all. After about 45 minutes (which is my daily commute each way) it made you question the decisions that got you to this point. I sold it and took a 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer on partial trade. I like the new riding position, but missed the power of a larger bike. The tipping point was the lack of power and comfort with a passenger, despite my commuting fuel mileage of 52 mpg and the use of Regular pump fuel. So after a lot of on-line research and a near purchase of a Triumph Tiger 1050, I decided to focus on a Uly. I found one in Minnesota at a good price (including the cost of shipping it) and I purchased it. I took delivery Sunday evening. I am wanting to get it serviced prior to putting it into everyday use.

So, this brings me to my first question... Does anyone know of a shop they would recommend in the Central / North Central Florida area?

I have also developed a little crush on the Special O.P.S. exhaust, which leads into my second question...

Does anyone here have a Special O.P.S. exhaust for sale?

And, I promise (for now), this is my last question...

I would like to replace the Barricade Orange air box cover and windscreen. I am open to just about any color. If you have a set for sale, please let me know.

Thank you all for indulging my (long) first post. I look forward to getting to know you a little better.
    TS1203

Welcome aboard. Nice choice on the Uly (man I need to get one of those). To me half the fun of ownership is maintaining my own bike, but realize thats not for everyone. Several members here down in FL. Good luck on the search for a Spec Ops. Oh yeah, pics or it didn't happen.

Welcome to the strangely addictive world of Buells. The Ulysses is definitely a fun one, a breed of its own in my opinion. I have yet to find another bike that is as comfortable two up. Also if you have the time/equipment I agree with mrlogix, working on your own bike can save you time and money. I have seen too many shops that don't know about a Buell screw them up, so if no one can recommend one I would really do your research before dropping her off anywhere. As far as the plastics go I would think about plasti dipping them if you have a hard time finding some, check out dipyourcar.com
    Good luck on the muffler search, keep your eyes peeled. Pics pics pics

Hello mate! sh1t why didnt i think of that username! lol all i know about Ulys is i want one!! Oh yeah i am the village idiot of the forum by the way anyone will tell you that! but i welcome you anyway!

Welcome and glad you made it here! The Uly is a great bike, I also have an 07 Tiger 1050 and really enjoy riding both bikes. Very similar and both are quirky which you may Love or hate.

Thanks everyone for the welcoming comments. I will get photos up soon. I am still getting a message stating I either do not have permission to update my profile or I am awaiting activation. I am really excited to get to know more about the bike. I can do some of my own maintenance, but would be a little hesitant regarding major service issues. One of my attractions to the bike is how much i have heard they are fairly maintenance free. At least I hope this rings true.

As far as the bike...
    As I stated, it is a 2008 Barricade Orange X model, with the following accessories;

Buell (Garmin) GPS
    Both the stock accented seat and a Sargents gel seat
    Buell Confort Kit
    Fork, Swingarm and Engine mounted sliders (as well as the Buell frame puck)
    A complete seat of Zega Bags, Zega Mounting system and inner bags for both the top & side bags
    An after-market air-horn (loud and a little different)
    Bar Riser (not sure of what brand)
    Touratech Kickstand plate
    Both regular and large (clear) Buell windscreen
    Headlight screen
    K&N filter
    Buell tank bag

I might have missed something, but you get the ideal.

I am also unsure it it has the stock or an EBR ECM. If there is a way to tell, please let me know or is it just a matter of flashing the stock ECM?

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    Welcome and glad you made it here! The Uly is a great bike, I also have an 07 Tiger 1050 and really enjoy riding both bikes. Very similar and both are quirky which you may Love or hate.
    It really came down to the seating comfort for me. I have to admit, I was also a little scared off by the information I was reading regarding the cost of maintenance with a Triumph. I think the 1050 and the Explorer XC are very nice bikes. If I were to buy new, I was thinking the TEX. But, I am very happy with the Uly and my girlfriend is very happy with the seating accommodations as well.

I would not buy a new Triumph either, the Tiger 1050 I like better than the Tiger Explorer which is a 1200? So in the US you can only get a Tiger 800 or 1200 new, no 1050. I think the Tiger 1050 is better and Light and nimble like an 800, with a lot more HP/Torque closer to a 1200. The problem I did not know is the 07 Tiger 1050 suspension really sucks, so either you get a bike that has been corrected with upgraded suspension or a stock ****ty one like I got. Waiting on suspension parts, so hopefully I will have a more first hand opinion of the Tiger after I get some 2 up riding on it with the right springs, shock, fork valving, etc.... The stock Uly is amazing, I think the 08 & 09 XB12X are close to the same? 2 up or 1 up, loaded not loaded, it is an anywhere, anytime, do whatever, whenever kind of motorcycle. I am just an average rider, so the Uly bascially keeps me out of trouble. I've seen first hand riders like Augustus on this forum really throw down on a Uly on the back country twisty roads really give any bike a run for the money. When I ride with a pack of Buells I am in the back on my Uly, this last weekend when riding in Fort Worth Tx while riding 2 up with Ducati's, BMW's, Triumphs, V-Stroms, KLR's, Ninja's, Tiger 1200's, Daytona's, it was surprising to see how well the Uly did on and off road. Yes you can save a lot of money working on the Uly yourself and with help from this forum is great! I have also saved a ton of money on the Tiger forums and met someone who rebuilt, revalved, reshimmed, resprung the front forks on the Tiger 1050 for $100 labor, $105 on racetech springs, $35 on shims, $20 on RFF, so for $260 I am hoping that I have a front end that can get me through anything? Cannot wait to find out. The Uly is the Gold standard for all other motorcycles that I am interested in, it is great to be able to own one so I think you will not be disappointed?

Grats on your new bike! I have True Blue Airbox and flyscreen for a Uly. Custom painted, with American flag print Buell decals, if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Phelan View Post
    Grats on your new bike! I have True Blue Airbox and flyscreen for a Uly. Custom painted, with American flag print Buell decals, if you're interested.
    I would love to see some pix and prices. I would like the blue much better than the barricade orange.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast