Thread: key switch relay

key switch relay

can anyone help with the location of my key switch relay on my 2003 xb12s. a picture would be great. I read in another post that this would fix my no lights, no prime, no start problem. any help would be great

On my 2009 xb it is under the seat in the fuse box

Inactive
    ^^^^^ correct sir
    aalvis: fuse box under seat just downstream from battery. see pic of 2003 lightning. press in both lid cover fingers and gently remove cover. if you fail to press in the fingers and forcefully remove the cover the finger tabs will break. then flip cover over for schematic. there will be a series of small blade fuses and 3 large relays. the cover schematic gives you ID and locale of the relays. if replacing i would do all 3 as they are very inexpensive and your bike is 12 years old. money well spent. the amp rating for each is embossed on top of same. take them to any decent auto parts store and match up to new replacements. common match-ups are ford and chrysler a/c relays. 10624_20110901233120_L.jpg

thanks, does the no prime, no cel light, no headlights, no start problem sound like a relay to you?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by AALVIS View Post
    thanks, does the no prime, no cel light, no headlights, no start problem sound like a relay to you?

quite possibly but you didn't get specific with the problem you're having. leave the red run switch in off position. check battery terminal closely for cleanliness and tightness. then trace both cables to their connector points and be sure both are clean and tight. closely check negative cable at it's frame attachment point. can be a source of problem. assuming battery is fully charged the turn key on...red run switch to off. you should now see both gauge needles sweep, the CEL light and ecm cycle thru, all dash lights on and headlights on plus lo/hi beam switch working. if not stop there. then check your relay. you should have 3 and as memory serves me. check the ignition and battery ones marked as same. also check all fuses particularly the one marked diode and be sure it is in correct orientation as per arrow marked on same.

bike ran fine. washed it, ran fine after. about an hour ride pulled into drive way shut off bike. left it set approximately an hour. came out to put it away. turned key on,gauges do sweep, neutral light and oil light come on. no check engine light. no head lights high or low. no fuel pump prime. nothing happens when starter button is pushed. has brand new fully charged battery that worked the two times it was rode before this. all connections clean and tight

Inactive
    you have either a connection or switch problem so start with those things. if you have the following check them:
    sidestand safety switch: check it for being operational and wires clean and intact and proper connection
    clutch lever safety switch: """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" "
    you are also describing a problem with the right handlebar switchgear that contains both the starter button and red on/off switch. check it for corrosion...lube the internals with kano kroil or something similar....follow the wiring harness down to its connection point and check closely. you have a minor connection/corrosion problem in one of those areas. with dilligence and patience you'll find it and resolve the issue.

with dilligence and patience you'll find it and resolve the issue
    AALVIS, take lunatic's advice. He knows his stuff.