Thread: XB12R trouble starting Intermittently

Threaded View

Angry XB12R trouble starting Intermittently

Hi all, new to the forum. I started riding about 4 months ago, scored a once in a lifetime deal when I found an 09 Lightning CityX with only 150 miles for less than 5k. 3 months into riding, an old lady decided to take me out and pulled out in front of me, I went flying and luckily only got some road rash. But the bike was not so lucky and got totaled. So I then found an 09 XB12R with 12k miles on it. The bike has an aftermarket exhaust, Voodoo is the brand according to the PO. It rode rough but okay for the first few days, then started having problem starting the bike, usually took about 3-4 pushes of the button to get it going, check engine light comes on every few starts, goes away after restart. Performance improved slightly after I had my spark plugs changed over the weekend hoping to get a smoother ride and easier start. Then couple nights ago, it refused to start altogether. The symptoms are as followed: turn key on, flip start switch, neutral and oil pressure light come on, but dimmed down after flipping the switch, no check engine light, no fuel pump priming noise, no start. So I charged the battery overnight, put it in, first couple trys with no luck, with symptoms as the night before, then after 3 times(key on, flip switch), CEL lit up for the first time, and started to crank, it took much longer than before to turn it over, but it did start, rode around the block and all lights dimmed down when revved up, lots of popping noise from the muffler that wasn't there before, parked it, and no start again.. Battery seems to be fine when tested with multimeter. Also, I noticed oil seeping out of the oil filler cap. Any idea is welcomed and appreciated.
    Last edited by chekioxb; 09-25-2015 at 03:16 AM.