Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2004 Xb12R wont start

2004 Xb12R wont start

I just got my first Buell two weeks ago and I love it. The bike is stock and rides strong. I started noticing a few days ago that as soon as I would start the bike the rpms would lower to around 750 then eventually turn off. Normally the bike stays around 1000-1150. If I heated the bike up, gave it gas, and rode around for a bit, it would work just fine and stay at the proper rpms.

Now I turn the key on, the dashboard needles go up and down like normally with the dash lights working including signals and horn, except for my headlights. Also my kill switch doesn't ready the bike if I put it in the "on".

If I press the starter, nothing happens just silence. No clicks, no nothing.

I am assuming it's the battery but I'm not 100% sure.

If anyone could help, that would be great!

Inactive
    the correct sequence is:
    key on and red run switch off: all systems operational including electronics and both needles sweep.
    then turn on red-run switch and you should now hear the fuel pump prime for a few seconds till it pressurizes the fuel system . you should also see your CEL activate, cycle thru, and extinguish. anything other than this and something amiss. start with removing your seat to access battery, fully charge battery, attempt to ascertain battery age and if it's a chinese lead acid POS get it the hell out of there, then check terminal and cable connections AT BOTH ENDS for cleanliness and tightness. post back.

thank you lunatic.

When I turn the red run switch on there is no fuel pump sound...

I'm going to get a new battery and see if that solves the problem. Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Xb12r.joe; 09-27-2015 at 06:48 PM.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Xb12r.joe View Post
    thank you lunatic.

When I turn the red run switch on there is no fuel pump sound...

I'm going to get a new battery and see if that solves the problem. Any other suggestions?

yes sir, my pleasure. historically at least 80% of problems similar to yours were battery related. go to batterymart.com and take a look at the deka big crank AGM battery they offer. usually free freight, it's buell XB specific, tops in CCA's, great warranty and pricing, and manufactured in kutztown, PA. best battery on the market for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    yes sir, my pleasure. historically at least 80% of problems similar to yours were battery related. go to batterymart.com and take a look at the deka big crank AGM battery they offer. usually free freight, it's buell XB specific, tops in CCA's, great warranty and pricing, and manufactured in kutztown, PA. best battery on the market for the price.
    I checked my battery and it's a Harley Davidson battery with 12.14 volts reading on my battery reader.

Do you still believe it's the battery? And why am I not even hearing the fuel pumps priming?

Inactive
    joe: i believe the possibilities are that you either have corrosion and a problem inside the right handlebar control switchgear....or the connector that resides at the end of that control harness(follow it down to its connection and check it) or a bad relay. remove the fuse box cover and you'll see 3 relays. try switching them around and see what you now have. let us know the results. a bit of anti-corrosion penetrant sprayed inside the switchgear often times remedies that problem.

joe: remove the fuse box cover and you'll see 3 relays. try switching them around and see what you now have. let us know the results. a bit of anti-corrosion penetrant sprayed inside the switchgear often times remedies that problem.
    I actually moved the three big fuses around and the fuel pump is priming. the only thing is that now when I press the ignition it doesn't turn on or make any sound.

Inactive
    joe: that would indicate you found the faulty relay. look at your fuse box lid. it should have schematic on underside of all the fuses and the relays including position and name of each. should be start....ignition....battery. sounds like you repositioned the start relay into the socket for the ignition and now have fuel....no start switch action. what i would do is this: your bike is 11 years old and relays are very inexpensive. remove all 3 and take them to any auto parts store. the correct part # for duralast is # 19283.....though they match up to many common chrylser and ford a/c relays. their amp rating should be embossed on top of each relay. 20 amps as i recall. take them along....match them up...a few bucks each....replace all 3 with new and retain the 2 good used ones as spares. betting this will solve your problem. make sure battery is fully charged.

joe: that would indicate you found the faulty relay. look at your fuse box lid. it should have schematic on underside of all the fuses and the relays including position and name.
    Luna: I kept playing around with the fuses and relays (still haven't gone to an auto parts store for the new relays) but now I press the start button and my headlights turn off until I release the button. No sound yet.

Is it still the battery or relays? Or something else?

Inactive
    you might be getting ahead of yourself. you need baseline to determine if something else amiss. replace the 3 relays as i previously recommended and fully charge your battery....then see what you have. if battery is the suspected culprit simply over-ride it by jumping the bike from car or garden tractor battery then see what you have. if car battery be sure the vehicles is NOT running when jumping.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast