Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2004 Xb12R wont start

Wow lunatic you hit the nail right on its head! As soon as I switched the faulty relay for the new one and it started up like nothing ever happened!

Thank you, I truly appreciate your help. I would have never found the problem by myself!

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Xb12r.joe View Post
    Wow lunatic you hit the nail right on its head! As soon as I switched the faulty relay for the new one and it started up like nothing ever happened!

Thank you, I truly appreciate your help. I would have never found the problem by myself!
    thanks very much for the kind words joe and happy you sorted out the problem. with buell ownership always be aware of the following things:
    1-though the charging systems are very straight-forward and robust, the bikes are hell on batteries. it's the nature of the vibes in the under-seat area as well as being a high-compression big twin with no compression releases for the cylinders.
    2-keep the terminals tight and clean and a tender from time to time to top off battery. if replacing use a top quality AGM with high CCA's like a deka big crank from batterymart.com
    3-never leave home without a small pack of spare blade fuses and 1 or 2 relays. you can put several of each in a small moisture proof bag and stash under the seat. you'll be glad that you did.
    4-install a simple volt meter as an evening project. only a few bucks and worth a ton for peace of mind.

Got my voltmeter installed a few weeks ago. Nice and easy to read.

John - what assortment of blade fuses and relays would you recommend (with values)? I'd like to put that "just in case" kit together myself.

ah, another happy customer John. Your the man. You need to start a Dear John forum for motorcycle diagnostics. Get some young nubile red head to proof read for you.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlogix View Post
    ah, another happy customer John. Your the man. You need to start a Dear John forum for motorcycle diagnostics. Get some young nubile red head to proof read for you.

LOL john. i love redheads. firecrackers....unpredictable....lots of freckles in some cases....smooth supple pale skin. what am i doing here? working on some harlequin romance novel?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by vicenzajay View Post
    Got my voltmeter installed a few weeks ago. Nice and easy to read.

John - what assortment of blade fuses and relays would you recommend (with values)? I'd like to put that "just in case" kit together myself.
    glad that worked out for you. the peace of mind those gauges provide is virtually priceless. what i do is remove 1 of the relays and take it to any auto parts store and match up. they're inexpensive and great to carry as spares. send me your name and address again and i'll send you down a pack of blade fuses for free. aren't you at the NZ embassy in DC? i'll fire you some down.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    glad that worked out for you. the peace of mind those gauges provide is virtually priceless. what i do is remove 1 of the relays and take it to any auto parts store and match up. they're inexpensive and great to carry as spares. send me your name and address again and i'll send you down a pack of blade fuses for free. aren't you at the NZ embassy in DC? i'll fire you some down.
    Thank you! PM sent!

Whoa, hold on a minute.

aren't you at the NZ embassy in DC?

explain please.

Well I have one more concern. My bike was doing this before the whole not turning on incident( about two times) and it did it again this afternoon.

The bike starts up strong. While it's idling the rpms start fluctuating and start decreasing the slightest bit until it turns off. If I start driving it around the bike sorta stutters until, I'm assuming it heats up, then it's fine.

Any idea what that could be?

Inactive
    joe: in the 03-07 model range this is a fairly common occurrence. the 08-10 models remedied this by adding an idle speed control feature to the throttle body unit. it consists of an ecm activated servo and pintle valve assembly which boosts cold start rpm's...then throttles down as motor warms. your 04 lacks this feature so can tend to occasionally stall following cold start. hesitation or "stutter" as you put it also common till motor fully warmed. often times a breather re-route along with switching over to NGK DCPR9EIX iridium tipped plugs will greatly reduce the 2 issues you mentioned along with enhanced rideability. the ecm experts on here also highly capable of resolving these issues with fine tuning of the ecm. i'm not one of those guys.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast