Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New SX owner with questions

New SX owner with questions

I posted this on the EBR site but thought I would cover all the bases posting here too.

Okay, my new SX was delivered today and now have a couple questions along with issues. The issues are that the key lock for the passenger pad is damaged and the key will not go all the way in. I was able to operate it one time, but now it will not go in all the way. Along with that, the key that was delivered with the bike has a hairline crack about halfway down it and I am afraid that it will break off in either of the cylinders (ignition, gas cap, or seat lock).

When I started it up for the first time, it ran for about 30 seconds then shut off. restarted okay but there is a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I have never bought a new bike with only 7 miles, but is this some kind of condensation build up maybe that needs to burn off or some type of assembly lube? I am afraid of restarting it now because it never seems to lighten up or clear, I ran it for about 2 minutes. I did make sure there was oil in it and there was according to the sight glass.

Please let me know if a replacement key can be cut with the key code or aftermarket and about the running issues.

Thanks.

next time you start it hold a clean sheet of paper close to the exhaust exit. Build up on paper oily? Water? Be sure to check radiator fluid level also. would love to say that it could be bad dealer prep, but not so sure with the fire sale on bikes after the EBR closure release. As far as the key, I wouldn't use the key (it did come with two keys, right? Shouldn't be to hard to get a new key. Contact halfagiraffe here on the forum. I think her and her husband can still order parts from Parts Unlimited and they should have a blank. Make sure you document and save any reciepts that you incurr that would be considered warranty work under normal circumstances.

okay, thanks for all the info. I will try the paper test tomorrow after work to see what the smoke is. If it is some type of water it could be either condensation steaming off or anti-freeze right? will anti-freeze have an odd color to the stain on the paper?

Thanks and I'll look up those you recommended for parts if I will need them to fix my issues. I'll also keep all the receipts too if my warranty becomes valid.

stain may be discolored but more important is if oily. If it's antifreeze you should be able to smell it. Would smell just like a leaking heater core in a car, kind of sickly sweet smell. I wouldn't think condensation. If just condensation from storage, it should clear up in 30 or so seconds unless the primary exhaust chamber is full of water. Like I said , keep an eye on the fluid level in the radiator.

okay, thanks

Banned
    Take a high quality video of the process and post here. Check the oil color and level. Carefully taste the exhaust condensations (do not swallow) if it has sweet taste and compare this taste with coolant liquid taste (do not swallow, this is poison).
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 10-02-2015 at 02:48 AM.

sorry, couldn't help myself

if it proves to be water, you may want to check the head bolt torque. To early for a blown gasket I would think.

Mrlogix - thanks for that video and I understand what your trying to say there. I am hoping to get a short ride out after work if the weather hold out.

The bike only has 7 miles on it and I wouldn't expect to have a head gasket issue already. Someone on BadWeatherBikers posted a picture of an RX that has the same smoke plume as mine did and they state that it always has it upon initial startup and hasn't had any issues to date and that picture was from 2014.

I'll do my best to try to narrow down the smell of the exhaust (without inhaling, of course) and let everyone know what I find.

LOL, the video is just my attempt at sarcastic comedic relief. I've read the posts on the other forums. Just think that is an awful lot of condensation. A car that makes repeated short trips never gets the catalytic converter hot enough to burn off the condensation. After just a few minutes if it's just condensation it should disappear. These bikes warm up quick. Just my .02 though. Have been known to be wrong before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast