Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New SX owner with questions

Have you heard of head gasket issue right off the showroom floor?

heard of last engine of the day not being torqued correctly. That being said, they put the bikes on a test stand and run them to verify they run before shipping. The dealer when un-crating performs dealer prep (add oil and water/anti-freeze, brake fluid top off, etc., etc.). They usually test fire and ride around the lot to ensure everything is working as it should. It would have had to get past both of these with no one noticing the smoke/water vapor. Stranger things have happened though.

I talked to the dealer and they said that they fired it up and ran it a couple minutes, they said they didn't notice any excessive smoke/steam coming out. I wonder if shipping it from the west coast would have caused some amount of condensation.

Weather has been raining and cold all day and didn't want to start the bike if I couldn't get it up to proper temps and run it for some time so I will have to wait for the weather to break before I fire it up again.

Just wanted to update everyone about the smoke/steam. I was able to get a little seat time on it today since the weather was nicer. started it up and after about 2 minutes of idling it went away. First ride on the bike, was fun that was. I put the TC on 10 just in case and that thing launches from a stop like a raped ape. I did take it easy like the book says during break-in.

My plan will be to half the first oil change at 300ish then the normal scheduled maintenance.

Here are a couple pictures of whats in the garage, even though there a couple more in my shed.

separately - just got word that the dealing will not cover the cost of the broken key nor the broken lock cylinder for the passenger pad. Can I take the cylinder from the gas cap and put it back there and find another gas cap that doesn't require a key. I would like to keep the ability to lock the passenger pad because I am going to use the helmet hanger.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to so many more miles on this bike.

If it is only the lock cylinder that has a problem, not and of the hardware that the lock cylinder operates, you can take the cylinder to a good locksmith and they maybe able to repair it for you and make a new key. I have lock cylinders re-keyed all the time for some of the rental properties my brother owns.

I have a local guy on the other side of town that is experinced with automotive lock sets, my plan will be to take the bike down to him and see if he can unlock the seat to begin with, then I will be able to remove the cylinder and see if he can repair it. I have no problem if it ends up using a different key either.

The problem I have is the dealer washing their hands of the bike since it was bought without a warrenty and they stated that it worked before it was shipped and has decided to not cover any cost of the repair because they state "I got too good of a deal already." Seems a bit ****ty of a dealer to take that stance.

Live and learn with this experince

glad it is not anything major, key locks are fairly cheap compared to what the steam issue could have been. Was following the posts on the other sites. Didn't realize that the RX had a catalytic converter.

Are those factory passenger pegs? If so, I am disappoint.

cj - yes everything on the SX is stock. I took delivery on Thursday in the rain and it sat in the garage till Sunday when the weather finally cleared up and I was able to put the first 7 miles on it towards break-in. Why are you so disapointed?

What a fun ride, so looking forward to a couple hundred more this season hopefully before the snow comes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12