Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two quick question - shift linkage and isolator bolt related

Two quick question - shift linkage and isolator bolt related

Need some quick help:

1. How do you secure the shift linkage after adjusting it? With both small nuts turning the same way, how can you tighten them down to keep the rod from self-adjusting? (and yes, they do self-adjust if you only have them "hard as you can with fingers" tight - that story if you want it via pm).

2. Are isolator bolts the same part no. across all XB years? I see some listed as "2002-2005 isolator bolt", so I'm wondering if they've changed.

Thanks in advance - Jay

Use a wrench and tighten the nuts....

Yeah - AZMidget - it's not as easy as that. The two nuts turn the same way - so you can't use opposing wrenches. I'd like to not completely screw up the sleeve. I suppose I'll try a rubber compress and see if I can cinch it down some.

For anyone searching this topic - I got a rubber "can opener" thingy and wrapped it around the sleeve - then gripped that with pliers. That allowed me to tighten up the nuts quite a bit. Wish I had known this before putting a nice,ugly gash in my primary cover when the shift lever rotated completely out of wack when the linkage self adjusted.....

I am well aware, and have never had a problem tightening jam nuts.

Well - good for you - for the rest of us humans, my note above will actually be helpful for tightening the nuts without marring the sleeve.

i.e. - if you're only going to make a sarcastic, and not helpful, comment about "tighten the nuts" when someone has clearly asked a question asking "how" to do just that, you might want to just refrain from posting. It comes off as if you're a smart a@@

Damn, I pissed off another person on the internet

"hard as you can with fingers" tight

I suggested using a wrench, and I'm the ass

Bring it to the dealer.

Sounds like the Facebook Buellers.
    Last edited by oh9bolt; 10-07-2015 at 10:15 PM.

Seriously AZ isnt the ass this time. If you tighten each nut a little at a time they lock eachother against the sleeve. If this required a forum post you need to stop wrenching on your bike.

I knew Crash really liked me deep down inside!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast