Thread: Filter Skins

Filter Skins

I installed filter skins over the air filter on my DR-650 DualSport and love them. They work great as a pre-filter trapping an awful lot of the fine dust thrown up on dirt roads and trails.

I have K&N filters in the Buell’s. The bikes run noticeably better with the K&N’s but I’ve always been concerned about how well they filter. K&N makes both mesh and foam pre-filters for many of their air filters but not for Buell filters.

I’ve looked for some type of filter skin, (pre-filter) for the Buell K&N but have been unsuccessful so far. Thinking about cutting up queen sized stockings or pantyhose but doubt that would work as well as a commercially made product. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any and all comments.

Inactive
    unless your XB is being ridden in similar conditions to what you ride your DR in.....and i'm assuming a mixture of pavement and off-road for the DR....i wouldn't waste the time or effort. the redundancy seems completely unnecessary for street application plus you run the risk however slight of upsetting the great inherent flow characteristics of the K&N, which filters quite well from the factory. tuning or lack thereof might also be affected by a cover over the filter element. i myself wouldn't do it.

I have heard many arguments about using a pre filter. It usually goes exactly how this has started. You state it collects a lot of fine dust. How do you know the filter itself wouldn't have stopped it? Now if you put it after the filter and were getting dust on it, then I would agree. Run the filter and call it good, then check your throttle body for dust. It is oily enough in there that you would see dust in there, if any was passing the filter.

I find myself in the same boat as lunatic. I have a CF open airbox cover from ASB and have ridden in the rain multiple times with no problems. I take the cover off and check when I get home as well. And as far as dirt goes where you are riding has everything to do with it. Even in dry and dusty Las Vegas I don't have an issue with dust/fine dirt. Granted I don't take my firebolt off pavement much.
    image.jpg