Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake pads replacement

Brake pads replacement

I have searched but don't seem to find a good how to or even video on replacement front and rear brake pads on an XB (mine is an 03 XB9S). I found some info on front brake pads but none on rear.

Thanks for any help!

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by xb9swilsonville View Post
    I have searched but don't seem to find a good how to or even video on replacement front and rear brake pads on an XB (mine is an 03 XB9S). I found some info on front brake pads but none on rear.

Thanks for any help!
    choices: EBC...Galfer...Lyndall...Ferodo. i sell EBC to board members and use lots of them. superb quality-priced right.
    how to directions same front and rear:
    remove master cylinder cap. remove old fluid with either turkey baster type device or paper towels. if towels THROW AWAY IMMEDIATELY. replace cap. remove the 2 hex cap bolts holding caliper to mounting point. now wiggle caliper back and forth a bit to loosen up pads and slide up and over the rotor. with caliper removed(do NOT remove brake hose-DO NOT operate brake lever during this procedure)take a very large flat blade screw driver, insert between pads and twist back and forth. do this in middle and towards both ends of pads. this will fully push the pistons back into their respective bores. take your time doing this as the pistons MUST be fully seated into their bores. now remove the pad locator pin. it is that long chrome torx head pin in middle of caliper towards top. it slides thru each pad locator loop. remove pads along with pressure plate. most plates have front and rear so mark same accordingly. with pads and plate removed use brake cleaner aerosol, toothbrush, plenty of rags to fully clean the inside portion of the caliper. you're looking to remove all possible traces of brake dust and dirt. once clean check area around pistons, dust boots, hose and bleeder screw for any signs of fluid leakage. NOW GO WASH YOUR HANDS. remove master cylinder cap and swab out any fluid and gunk in reservoir. once clean fill reservoir to upper mark with dot-4 brake fluid. replace cap. now install new pads, pressure plate, locator pin. install caliper over rotor, install caliper mounting bolts. a tiny dab of anti-seize recommended on threads of each bolt. torque bolts to factory specs. ONLY NOW should you operate the brake lever. operate lever briskly till pads pushed out against the rotor. stop and check reservoir fluid level. if at "add mark" add accordingly. operate lever again till firm lever feel is felt. bed the pads in properly during first 100 miles of riding.

I want to add that make sure you use some lube on the slide pin. Ive gotten some bad chatter from a dry pin and its not a good feeling.

Lube is always nice

Any videos perhaps? I checked my pads and I'm definitely not due for brakes yet but I want to be ready when the time comes. I love my XB and she must get the best of care!

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by xb9swilsonville View Post
    Any videos perhaps? I checked my pads and I'm definitely not due for brakes yet but I want to be ready when the time comes. I love my XB and she must get the best of care!
    video? i posted simple, clear and concise instructions to do the job front and rear. IMO if you can't perform this relatively simple maintenance procedure following those instructions i would definitely have a pro perform the work. brake systems don't respond well to guess-work....nor does your life.

+1 for perfect instructions.

Just read it one sentence at a time while looking at the brakes on your bike, all will become clear young Jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    video? i posted simple, clear and concise instructions to do the job front and rear. IMO if you can't perform this relatively simple maintenance procedure following those instructions i would definitely have a pro perform the work. brake systems don't respond well to guess-work....nor does your life.
    I have done a lot of things on bikes but I have never done a brake job, I would like to do it myself so I will give it a shot when the time comes, thank you for the info!

It's not as difficult as you think. I did mine just using the manual. Take your time and don't rush it. And if you don't think your up to it take it somewhere.

+1 on the instructions. Good write up.

Old thread I know, but user_deleted's instructions say to "a tiny dab of anti-seize recommended on threads of each (mounting) bolt". The manual on the other hand says to "Apply LOCTITE 271 (red) and tighten both caliper mounting fasteners to 35-37 ft-lbs".

So what is it? anti-seize compound or red Loctite???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast