Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake pads replacement

Sir: the manual is incorrect. and here is why:
    Buell sourced, among many other parts and assembly products, their thread locking compounds from harley-davidson motor company. on the XB series, with the exception of a few critical components such as inner primary component fasteners and front belt pulley nut and splines, Buell used "pink loctite" on fasteners such as caliper bolts...rotor fasteners...airbox base fasteners...fender fasteners...rear drive pulley fasteners...to name a few. this "pink" loctite was a proprietary thread locker sourced from H-D and supplied to H-D exclusively by Permatex corp. it was spec'd via H-D engineering department. this thread fastener lies somewhere in the realm of fasteners between blue and red versions. unfortunately it becomes increasingly brittle and prone to galling of metal surfaces over time. since this "pink" loctite was never available to the public the SM went with red. that is incorrect and subsequently rectified in later model year service manuals.
    personally, i use a tiny dab of anti-seize on fasteners such as yours in question and things such as front and rear axle pinch bolts and the like. anti-seize works perfectly fine on caliper attachment bolts. if you feel it necessary for an enhanced layer of adhesion then choose blue loctite. but my experience has found it unnecessary. i hope this helps your decision.

I would have to think real hard of any fastener I've used red loctite on. And when you use a locking compound parts must be squeaky clean and all you need is a smidgen. I prefer anti-seize. 20 years down the road someone will thank you.
    Last edited by outthere; 06-05-2020 at 12:47 AM.

Thank you. Anti-seize compound it is.

Anti-seize here too!

I use the stuff on every exterior fastener possible. A friend gave me an old RT2 Yamaha that someone cared about and apparently used anti seize compound. Bike was a joy to take apart compared to the Pursang we restored.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Sir: the manual is incorrect. and here is why:
    Buell sourced, among many other parts and assembly products, their thread locking compounds from harley-davidson motor company. on the XB series, with the exception of a few critical components such as inner primary component fasteners and front belt pulley nut and splines, Buell used "pink loctite" on fasteners such as caliper bolts...rotor fasteners...airbox base fasteners...fender fasteners...rear drive pulley fasteners...to name a few. this "pink" loctite was a proprietary thread locker sourced from H-D and supplied to H-D exclusively by Permatex corp. it was spec'd via H-D engineering department. this thread fastener lies somewhere in the realm of fasteners between blue and red versions. unfortunately it becomes increasingly brittle and prone to galling of metal surfaces over time. since this "pink" loctite was never available to the public the SM went with red. that is incorrect and subsequently rectified in later model year service manuals.
    personally, i use a tiny dab of anti-seize on fasteners such as yours in question and things such as front and rear axle pinch bolts and the like. anti-seize works perfectly fine on caliper attachment bolts. if you feel it necessary for an enhanced layer of adhesion then choose blue loctite. but my experience has found it unnecessary. i hope this helps your decision.
    Sir, thats some interesting story and all, but your opinion does not make the manual wrong. Despite your claim of revision, the factory service manual recommends using Loctite 271 on those critical fasteners for the entire run of XB's from 2003-2010. I would caution anyone giving advise to put slippery stuff where the engineers from the factory want glue.

Page 1-23 in the 2009 manual:
    http://buellmods.com/content/downloa...ice_manual.pdf

We all have our opinions and thats totally fine. I admit to 'adjusting specs' for my personal use, and that makes me liable for those choices on my own motorcycle.

Presenting your opinion as a fact, while contradicting the service manual, could kill someone.

Last edited by Cooter; 06-08-2020 at 07:16 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12