Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: intake seals

intake seals

I got brave and changed the intake seals on my ss last night. I got it apart and back together well long story short it still leaks. Time to pull it apart again. would anyone know the James gasket part number? I used HD seals and wonder if that's not part of the problem other than I had a friend show up while I was working on it. He's better With bricks than wrenches.

Inactive
    darin: JGI-29539-99-YK

Sweet thanks John I have a feeling they slipped out of line or something I was going to check it again for leaks here again soon.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by DSHUMAKER View Post
    Sweet thanks John I have a feeling they slipped out of line or something I was going to check it again for leaks here again soon.
    my pleasure darin. my understanding is that OEM's work pretty well. James top quality.

well I can say this weather it's still leaking or not I gained some experience with it and more determined than ever to do more on my own work on the bike. As of now it idles more steadily than it ever had... Could be the plug wires too but... So to test it I've been spraying the flanges with starting fluid and listening to how it runs it seems to Rev ever so slightly. That's what makes me think it's still leaking but on the flip side when I spay some in the stack it's self it bogs down. I guess that's got me confused shouldn't it have a similar effect either place flanges or stack?

I installed the James gaskets on mine, they have a lip on the end and deal with the heat better from what I read... many people bitched about how it was next to impossible to get the manifold in to get the bolts installed because of this extra rubber to squish. I don't remember having any real issues though, just make sure the gaskets are fully seated then get the bolts in a turn each so that they are all started. Once you have that done just do a quarter at a time to get a good even seat on them. The stubby slanted allen key tool from ASB was nice to have for this. Some say silicone spray on the ends help to get the manifold seated without rolling the lip of the seal and ease of installation.

here is a comparison from stock to James: http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...s-Intake-Seals

Ok so up date on the seals. I decided to finish putting the bike back together instead of taking it all back apart and starting over. Wow what a difference it made. It isn't perfect but considerably better than it was. The throttle seemed much smoother and more crisp. The slight 4k chug and shimmy is gone and she pulls like a freight train through all gears and rpm to red line. She doesn't seem to talk back as much during de acceleration. She seemed all around happier!! Here soon I'm going to order the James gaskets seals and changed them a little ways down the road.

Dont change them a little ways down the road change them at home where you have all your tools its not a roadside repair! ha ha ha

haha good one I couldn't even imagine doing that along side of the road.

Sounds crazy but when you do replace the intake seals use dielectric grease. It's not just for terminals.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast