Thread: Pulled the intake, have questions

Pulled the intake, have questions

Sup Buellin Buds,

Pulled out my intake to replace the intake gaskets and found some stuff that I have questions on.

First off I have an 07 STT and the image of the intake in my manual is slightly different than what I am seeing. The whole injector bracket seems to be different as well. So, do I have a throttle body from a previous year or just subtle differences that shouldn't matter?
    throttlebody 1.jpg

Second, the intake holes for the back and rear cylinders are different colors. Should I be looking for something else or is this a side effect from intake gaskets leaking?
    20151017_144735.jpg

Third, I did the test for leaky intake seals and I got a response from spraying throttle body cleaner around the area. However, after I have pulled them off they appear to look fine. Is that usual?

Fourth, read about people using some kind of silicone on their intake seals when installing them. Any recommendations for products from anyone would be appreciated.

check the link below.
    I've used silicone based dielectric grease and silicone o-ring lube for paintball guns. Feel the edge of a new K&N air filter, it's slick for a reason.

Twinmotorcycles flanges come with some seal conditioner, they reference it half way down the product description.

http://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/websho..._Intake_Flange

Actual product!
    http://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/webshop/artikel.asp?guid=YXHFSC&aid=6479&cid=0&s=526223&a= &aname=Universal_o-ring__oil_seal_mounting_grease_
    Last edited by Dellinger; 10-19-2015 at 04:40 AM.

I just did mine last week on my ss the looked good too but leaked like crazy. I used stock HD gaskets I had them already the bike runs tons better it's not 100% but doesn't fall on its face at low rpm. Look into James gaskets from what everyone has told me. I plan on redoing mine in the spring with the James gaskets.
    Last edited by DSHUMAKER; 10-19-2015 at 11:42 AM.

1 what year and model is yur manual for?

2 probably from the leaky injector

3 that's normal

4 I've never used any

I just did my intake seals two times. The first time i used the black James gaskets from ASB. Al recommended Sil-glyde. Still wasn't right.

The second time I used the blue James gaskets with the lip between the intake and the head surface. I used Hylomar sealant on them. My bike is an '09. I replaced the IAC gasket and o-ring and used Hylomar there also. Way better now!

Mine had the gold varnish front and rear.

The Hylomar is kinda messy to work with but I'm sold

S

Manual is 07 lightning models. Stt is covered in it.
    Got the James Gaskets. Do you use the Hylomar on both sides of the gasket or just on one side? Any pics to refer to would also be helpful.