Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slight front end issue...

True, but IMHO if the steering neck bearings are worn enough to start clicking, they are worn enough to replace. It doesn't take a blind bearing puller, a brass punch will do. If you can pull off the forks, you can do that job, it's easy.

Rotor hardware can be re-used, but if you have a problem with it, get the EBR "upgraded" kit that solid mounts the rotor to the wheel. I found it was a huge improvement.

If you are getting pulsing from your front brake, it may not be a warped rotor. If the last pads weren't bedded properly when new, the pad material may not have transferred to the rotor evenly, causing a pulsing that feels identical to the warped rotor. So the "HH" pads should solve that.

What Dellinger is stating is exactly what my bike is doing. My last lightning did it too. I will check all of these things. Thanks guys. I did notice that my steering is unusually light. Like it takes very little effort to turn from stop to stop. Hoping this fixes a few of the issues. I did take my pads off last week and ran them over some sand paper and hit the rotor with some scotch bright.

My manual said the steering head should be checked @ 6K miles if I remember correctly. Mine is an 08, I got it with4K on it and the previous owner didn't do anything but beat it half to death. This was the only part of the bike that hadn't been removed and re torqued since the total engine rebuild and frame off besides the forks. Bearings are fine, I think the previous owner was Craig Jones!

Quote Originally Posted by cjanderson_90 View Post
    I did take my pads off last week and ran them over some sand paper and hit the rotor with some scotch bright.
    Since you took off all the transferred pad material don't forget to re-bed the pads correctly

I just wanted to update this thread. I have tightened down the steering stem bearing and it has corrected the issue. No more head shake and no more brake chatter. Thanks all! The bike is driving and handling great now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12