Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Integrated CR Headlight

Baseplate Template

Next up is the baseplate to mount all the electronics and light to. I'll spare you a bunch of pictures for this process. But here's how it goes for me.

1) I'll make a template out of poster board to get the overall shape.

2) Then I'll trace to a thin piece of plywood from the hobby shop and trial mount everything to it.

3) Next I'll take all of that and load it into my computer to get a base file to work with

4) Finally I'll print out the computer template version for proper fit.

I'll trace around the final product template and upload it as a PDF for anyone else contemplating a similar project. So, I'll be back here when all that's done!

EDIT: As promised, here's the pdf for the template: CR Plate.pdf
    Last edited by SEXT9; 10-27-2015 at 03:10 AM.

make sure you detail whats the stock headlight and what isnt when you go to mount it. so i can see what i need to mount it to mine.

Mark 1

It took 6.5 hours to print. It could've been made with carbon fiber. Or it could've been done with metal and a plasma cutter. But hey this stage is finally done!

Photo Oct 25, 11 38 43 PM.jpg

I forgot to build in a hole for the wires from the headlight to poke through. So I'll be drilling one out later. I'm headed to get some rest.
    Last edited by SEXT9; 10-27-2015 at 03:11 AM.

Mark 2

I printed off another plate today. Version 1 had the light placed to high. The tip of the fly screen covered a lot of the projector lens. Also the plate was a bit to wide. It was hitting the outer lens when the adjustment screws where turned in.

So I made some adjustments, started the printer, and it was just finishing up when I got home from work. What you see here is "Mark 2". Sorry I'm a fan of Iron Man.

This version is better, but it isn't going to work either. The projector is to far out and while it doesn't hit touch the lens, it will when it's adjusted out at the bottom. While I have a lot visible on my bike, I don't like being able to see through the sides behind the mounting plate.

Photo Oct 26, 10 35 30 PM.jpgPhoto Oct 26, 10 36 16 PM.jpgPhoto Oct 26, 10 39 08 PM.jpgPhoto Oct 26, 10 33 34 PM.jpg

So, Mark 3 will be 2 parts, a front and a back. I'll pull that light back some and print some 'wings' on the sides.

I also ordered some Radiantz Z-Flex led lights. I have these elsewhere on my bike and I'm thrilled with their performance. They will be mounted on each end of the mounting plate and function as both signals and running lights. My goal is to have the mounting plate completed by the time the Radiantz get here.
    Last edited by SEXT9; 10-27-2015 at 03:18 AM.

SEXT9 your ability is mind blowing! and mark 3 sounds like it should be spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by ToneTheMoan View Post
    SEXT9 your ability is mind blowing! and mark 3 sounds like it should be spot on!
    Thanks for compliments Tone!

Mark 3 is printing now. It wound up being 4 parts instead of 2. I'll explain all that later. I should have an update with pictures within the next couple days.

For anyone interested I updated the template link below with the newest modifications to keep from hitting the sides when the adjustment screws are used.

Mark 3

Mark 3 is complete. I didn't need to make as many parts as I thought. I guess I just overcomplicated things in my head.

Photo Oct 30, 5 30 12 AM.jpgPhoto Oct 30, 5 32 01 AM.jpgPhoto Oct 30, 5 32 15 AM.jpg

As you can see I was able to move the headlight back a full 16mm. I was planning for a minimum of 10mm. With all of the adjustment screws turned all the way out the headlight now out goes out to where it was in Mark 2. All the way in is where you see it now. So that worked out great!

I also got the side curtains figured right on the first try. They cover the side view except for a small part of the top corner. They function the same no matter if the screws are all the way out or in as well.
    Last edited by SEXT9; 10-30-2015 at 09:49 AM.

Open Source

I've also uploaded my .STL files to thingiverse.com. One of you might have access to a CNC machine or a 3D printer and want to try the project on your own.

Here's the link for the files: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1101228

What type of projector did you use? I tried putting two Morimoto matchbox 2.0 in my cr headlight but with the shrouds they were too big. Now I am trying to fit one Morimoto mini h1 6.0.

Manufacturer?

Quote Originally Posted by independentrider View Post
    What type of projector did you use? I tried putting two Morimoto matchbox 2.0 in my cr headlight but with the shrouds they were too big. Now I am trying to fit one Morimoto mini h1 6.0.
    I wish I knew what kind of headlight it is. I've looked all over the box. I don't see any name brand at all. Maybe someone will chime in that know more about them. Here's the box

Photo Oct 30, 10 44 59 PM.jpg

It doesn't really look different than some I bought off ebay and put in my sons R6 last year.

EDIT: Here's a similar kit on eBay. So I'm sure I got it there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-MOTORCYC...JTL55Z&vxp=mtr

Last edited by SEXT9; 10-31-2015 at 03:12 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast