Thread: Instrument Cluster weirdness

Instrument Cluster weirdness

So, I'm about to pick up my brothers '06 XB9sx and it has a very strange issue with the instrument cluster. Let me see if I can explain it:

It only works as it's supposed to every 3 starts.
    On the first start, the gauges will spin and go back down and not move.
    On the second start, the gauges will spin and start around 12 oclock.
    On the third start, the gauges will spin and work as they're supposed to.

Anyone had this issue?

Inactive
    remove the flyscreen which will reveal all of the wiring and plugs for the front of the bike. find the plugs that feed the gauge cluster...unplug them...clean if required...spray some kano kroil into both plug ends and reassemble. then go to steering neck area and look for any rub-throughs on the main wiring harness and check the ground wires that attach to that neck area. should solve it.

Main harness to cluster is probably being forced by something, mine would do that when I put the ballasts in for HID's. With the fly screen off switch it on and off and see if it is normal, if so something is pushing on the wiring harness once the fly screen is on. You could pull the cluster completely out but wired and see what it does, that's how I realized it was being forced as it would work fine until all buttoned up then back to what you are experiencing.

Thanks alot guys! I'm heading up to Alabama soon to pick it up...wanted to address it before the 9 hour ride back to FL.