Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running issues on 07'XB12STT

Running issues on 07'XB12STT

Alright so, all of a sudden with nothing changed, the bike isn't running right anymore. The engine light came on and went off on my last ride and wasn't pulling like it usually does. I checked fault codes with ECMSpy and got trouble code 13 "02 always lean". I checked the forum and saw a few people who had this code pop up and were told to check grounds so I did and all are tight/good. The other thing people said to check is the intake gaskets, so I brought the bike up to temp (no cold start enrichment), cleared the code, reset the AFV, then sprayed WD-40 from the left side of the bike onto the intake gaskets and from the top of the engine with no change in idle. On the way up to temp the bike idles fine, once up to temp it hiccups and dies, idle drops from 1,100 area to 900 area at temp. Did this twice (cool down then back up to temp), wiggled the grounds with no change and then checked With ECMSpy again for codes but there were none...

When I was on that last ride when the light came on and went away the bike was pulling like it was running lean. Before resetting the trouble code 13 and AFV the AFV was at 109 and before issues it is always at 103.

EDIT: Yes I know this error is for the 02 sensor, but as we know sometimes the codes are because of other issues and not exactly what is getting thrown up to the ECU. I guess I could grab a new 02 and see if that is actually the problem, can someone post up the AutoZone replacement equivalent? Makes sense the 02 is the issue as only when the enrichment is not being added is when the the bike dies at idle.
    Last edited by lowkey; 10-26-2015 at 09:33 PM.

Bosch 02 sensor part no. 12014 at AutoZone for $20.00 a good choice/deal?

Also came across someone with the same code and the coil was the solution for him, mine shows no signs of running rich so I don't think a lack of spark is the issue for me.
    Last edited by lowkey; 10-26-2015 at 11:52 PM.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
    Bosch 02 sensor part no. 12014 at AutoZone for $20.00 a good choice/deal?

Also came across someone with the same code and the coil was the solution for him, mine shows no signs of running rich so I don't think a lack of spark is the issue for me.

that's the one....or this one.....AC-Delco AFS-20

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    that's the one....or this one.....AC-Delco AFS-20
    Thanks lunatic, what else should I be looking at? Or should I/would you just go for the 02 first then go from there? I read a post on bad web stating Al from ASB claims the 02's last about 15K before they start to go, which is about what I've got on it now.
    Last edited by lowkey; 10-27-2015 at 04:19 AM.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
    Thanks lunatic, what else should I be looking at? Or should I/would you just go for the 02 first then go from there? I read a post on bad web stating Al from ASB claims the 02's last about 15K before they start to go, which is about what I've got on it now.
    always my pleasure. i have minimal knowledge lowkey when it comes to these sensors....ecm mapping....the really technical electronic engine control gizmos....and my limitations are minimalistic ecmspy things i can perform and check. but the info you provided historically points to O2 sensor replacement. you'll need either the dedicated socket to do the job or crows-foot open end wrench. i have the crows-foot and happy to lend it to you if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    always my pleasure. i have minimal knowledge lowkey when it comes to these sensors....ecm mapping....the really technical electronic engine control gizmos....and my limitations are minimalistic ecmspy things i can perform and check. but the info you provided historically points to O2 sensor replacement. you'll need either the dedicated socket to do the job or crows-foot open end wrench. i have the crows-foot and happy to lend it to you if necessary.
    We're about the on the same page when it comes to electronic trouble shooting then, I can take the bike apart down to each piece but luckily never needed to chase down anything to mysterious yet. With ECMSpy I know what all is going on and working with the program but as I mentioned, out of all the threads on the "error 13 02 lean" only 1 actually had the 02 sensor as the culprit... in my case with the bike pulling like it's lean and stalling at idle once enrichment is pulled points to the 02 sensor at fault. Wish I had a second bung on the header to hook up my wide band from the car, if nothing else it be nice to see the AFR across the fuel tables.
    Thanks for the offer on borrowing the tool, I think I'll just stop at harbor freight today when I grab the replacement 02 sensor. I've had it out before through the fan hole, I don't have a special tool so maybe I just used a box open wrench?

For those that may find this thread when searching for "error 13 02 always lean" I'll make sure to post up the solution once I have the issue resolved. There is nothing worse than all the open ended threads where a solution was never posted that resolved the posters problem.

Just a few comments that may help: if "02 always lean" is the only code, that could very well be the issue.
    If the bike starts and runs fine and then later when warmed up runs poorly and dies, the o2 sensor might be dead or dying.

When the bike first starts, it runs in Open Loop mode. The ECM must see a certain level of valid "activity" transitions from the O2 sensor (usually happens within the first few minutes) before it will start adjusting fueling based on O2 feedback (Closed Loop). If this initial activity never occurs, it stays in open loop, and assuming your base fuel map and other sensors are valid, the bike should continue to run well (though not perfectly).

However, if your O2 sensor initially shows some activity but then later drops voltage to zero (which is very possible with a bad o2 sensor), the ECM might start to depend upon it for fuel adjustments and would then make the engine run very rich to compensate for 0 V and likely die.

A datalog would positively confirm this theory. Without seeing an actual datalog trace, this is just a guess based on your description. The single O2 sensor wire could also have an intermittent short to ground. Hope this helps.

Well yeah thanks, I just wanted input from forum members before throwing money at the bike. I did swap the 02 for the bosch unit earlier and am going out to ride it now to see if all is well. I had ECMSpy hooked up while going through procedures listed on the first post and the bike was in closed loop, I think it was on its way out and giving a false reading. It makes since that on a failing 02 sensor you would want it to send a signal to run richer not leaner to save the motor but the bike was not rich as I can always tell at idle from smell, not terrible or anything just something you can sense. Anyway I got it all buttoned back up and let it idle to temp and the richer idle smell is back. Since I reset everything with ECMSpy I'm sure it's going to need to go through a learning curve to get to its happy place. It did die once at full temp but I thing the plugs just need some revs/ride to clean up a bit, the bike has now sat at least 4 times just starting up and idling to temp. I'll report back after I take it out right now and check with ECMSpy.

Inactive
    lowkey: see what i mean? readyxb always provides great info on these things and is a really smart guy. his acumen regarding this entire XB electronic engine management package is far greater than mine and his info outstanding.

We have a great community here. Lots of knowledgeable folks (including yourself) with experience covering everything from mechanicals, paint, shipping, buying/selling, fabrication, tuning, gotchas, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast