Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange markings on my rear tire

Strange markings on my rear tire

Anyone know what could be causing this?

I get those same strange markings too! If I remember correctly, it usually happens when I'm low on tire tread and have a new tire waiting in the garage.

I notice it happens mainly after I hold the front brake, rev the engine, and then drop the clutch. If I keep the RPM steady for awhile without releasing the front brake, those marks are visible once the smoke clears.

Interesting. We have a lot in common, I hope someone can figure this out for us!

lol

Well I went up to the ozark mountains and rode about 500 miles in 2 days. The tread at the center of the tire was very low at the start, right on the low tread wear bars/marks or whatever you want to call them. I checked the tire very often as I knew it was low. About 30 minutes from the end of the ride I checked and all tread was gone but it was still rubber. That last 30 minutes of the ride we rode VERY aggressive. Probably the fastest I've ever ridden a bike. Got back to the property and the tire looked like that. The last bit of rubber goes fast.

I think I'm going for a dual compound this time, as these tires didn't last long at all, maybe ~3k miles. They are sticky though.

On a side note, my buell ran like dog crap most of the trip. I don't know if the mapping is off or what, but it got to the point I was letting off the throttle in fear of engine damage. It was way down on power intermittently and didn't want to rev. It would fall on it's face most of the time rolling on the throttle coming out of corners. Was the first time I was really frustrated with the bike, it normally runs great.

Wanna get freaked out? When you dismount it, cut out a cross section. You will be VERY surprised at how super thin it is!

I did that once and now I change my tires well before they hit that wear bar Harley and touring tires are much, much, thicker than the sport bike tires. Glad you made it home safely

I just changed a Deablo on Sunday that you could start to see the bands through the thin layer of rubber. I get about 3K miles of good use and 1K commuter only action. First 2K handling is nuts,3rd isOk and the last 1K is sketchy. It picked up a 4" nail yesterday on the new tires first 20 mile ride. 3k isn't bad...

I will be going with the Corsa Rossa duel compound next.

Do you get many roadside checks over there? i wondered how hot the old bill are when it comes to tyres etc? we would get hung up by the bollocks for tyres like that! same there? Not judging anyone in anyway just curious how our countries differ in bike related matters!

Yeah I'm sure a cop would not be happy to see that tire. I wont ride on this tire, this went from rubber all the way around to this in about 30 minutes, hence i stopped riding. I knew the tire was low so was checking it often. The sides have plenty of grip so wasn't really a problem, just once I got to the cords it was time to put the bike up.

I was in the middle of nowhere in the mountains, I don't think I saw an officer the entire 500 mile ride... barely saw any cars at all lmao.

I love the tires, they are really grippy right down to the last mile, i just need the centers to wear longer, hence I'm going to go with dual compounds.

Thanks snrusnak thats interesting so obviously laws are pretty much the same the world over i guess! we can get points on our licence 3 per tyre (12 points and you are walking!) and up to a 1000 quid fine per tyre about $1500! Still all you have to do is ride at a 45 degree angle even on the straights and then you can argue the bit of tyre you are riding on aint illegal! lol or fit a bagger rear fender and no one will ever know! ha ha ha dual compounds are a brilliant idea! Update... just checked the fines and its up to £2500 per tyre! roughly $3800! OMG!!!
    Last edited by ToneTheMoan; 11-05-2015 at 11:12 PM.

I'm getting confused on these dual compound tires. The pilot 2ct, the pilot pure, and the pilot one, they show how much of the tire is different compounds, but they dont tell you what he compounds are (stickiness rating) to compare to the other tires.

Can you google it to find out? or contact michelin`s tech department directly or through the US importer maybe?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast